• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nocturnal Bucks

xedge2002

Seems like a lot of people have been getting pics of bucks at night lately. I know that the majority of the bucks I see are at night. I was wondering if the reason for that is the hot and humid weather we have had lately? Some of the midday pics that I have gotten my camera has been consistently reading 90-100 in the shade. I would think the bucks are laying low during the day staying cool and moving around at night. It seemed like on my cameras I was also seeing does with fawns at night more often than last year. What does everyone else think?

I dont know what the heck the deal is with bucks.

I have OODLES of pics during daylight with does and fawns since July 4th, and its been hotter than h*ll during that time frame. I dont think the heat has anything to do with it.

Its just puzzling why they do, what they do, when they do. Keeps us coming back, it does. grin.gif

I have never seen big bucks in daylight, the cameras only provide further evidence of their lack of movement!!! I am a firm beleiver that populated MN deer are the toughest to hunt! There is so many deer hunters/observers, roadways, atv's, etc. that these deer know the ONLY safe time is the under the cover of darkness. Otherwise there is always a threat watching them and/or messing with them.

I think a mature buck will only show himself in daylight a few days a year, mostly the rut. Other than that there is NO reason for a deer to go out when someone can see him. Its all due to pressure and human interferance. Other states and provinces are different, but habitated MN... the deer have been pressured to be like this. Its a bumber to see all these pics at night, but to me... nothing has changed, its been this way for 10-12 years in my area!

If it wasnt for sheds and trail-cam pics, no one would know they existed! I guess Id rather have them in the dark than not at all! crazy.gif

It is not abnormal for me to see nicer quality bucks in the daylight hours in North Dakota where we hunt. With that being said, there is next to no people or any type of traffic in the area.

My son saw a very nice 150 class buck at noon today out in the middle of a bean field. Without pressure, you can see them. At rut its just all the better.

With the recent cooler weather i have being seeing a couple of decent bucks out around 4 to 5 in the afternoon eating, I think the temp has played a role in there activity. I also have not being out there at all I just watch from the road with binos. I will go out this week and reset stands then I will not be out there until I'm ready to hunt.

Those big bucks get pretty bold during the rut. There are plenty of pics of bucks in the daylight and plenty of does at night. Its still being in the woods at the right place and the right time. The trail cams don't help me determine when to hunt. I've got two nice pictures of a decent buck, one at midnight, and another at noon. I wouldn't be in the woods at either of those times to see him, but when the rut hits and the bucks get aggressive, he just might walk in front of me when I'm there. I've got two more stands to put up, then, I'm out until probably October.

The rut is hands down the best time to have a good chance or maybe ones only chance as they very rarely make that one mistake. I love the rut.

I climb into my box with lunch and pop and sit til dark. A few years ago from noon to 5 I saw 12 trophy class bucks that afternoon in one 150 acre field. Thats buck hunting at its finest. Yes, I did shoot a 160 class 10 pointer.

If dayernal is hoping to see them in the daylight hours, I dont think you can do that. One must wait until the rut and then they will co-operate for you. If I want to hunt the bigger boys during bow season, I try to stay away from all the heavy traveled trails and get in a secluded area wehere no one can bother them. They are so nocturnal they are hard to figure out.

A good way possibly score on a mature buck before the rut is to hunt a water source that you know the deer are using, deer must drink after eating and before bedding down for the day...get in there early and you might catch a late one. Finding one in the evening is more difficult as they just won't leave the bedding area till it's dark.

The pre-rut is actually the best chance at scoring on a mature whitetail, when they are searching does. Once the actual rut hits, then they stick with the does. Still great, but not as much as the chase phase.

Quote:

Harvey, just curious.... those 12 big boys? That was in your NoDak spot?

YES.

I hunt in a rural, yet populated area and would agree that the ATVs and cars and people out moving around = night time movement by the big bucks, except when the rut hits. The first couple of weeks of November are the time to catch them off routine. For me, to see anything other than does - or yearling bucks - is extremely unusual during Sept and Oct.