Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troyslund

lowrance handneld gps with lake map chip??

5 posts in this topic

i bought a boat this summer and also a lowrance ifinder "expedition" model.... i bought the lake map chip and have used it on island, fish, caribou, st. louis river, and lake superior... has anyone else been using one of these.. how accurate do you feel they are.. there have been times it has not been the most accurate, however has made finding the spots easy.. at one point on island lake the screen showed me going right over the top of an island when i was about 40 yards from it?????? overall i love the thing and won't go fishing without it but was wondering about your experiences..... wink.gif

My H2Oc has been very good to me. Most of the time it very accurate on the lakes you mentioned. In a few places it has been off a bit but never enough to show me on land when I was on water. I really like my H2Oc and the Navionics Premium North Chip for around Duluth.

Oh on another note I returned my Expedition and got the H2Oc. The Expedition wouldnt read the chips at all. I dont hunt so I dont need the extra stuff the Expedition had.

If you get a hand held go color. Its WAY easier to read that small screen in color and you can tel land from water etc. way easier. Seeing marker buoys in the color is nice and a great safety tool.

Like everyone says though, dont use it as your only means of navigation. Oh and surely dont try to run a lake, river by watching just your GPS, especially at night!!!!

I've had the experience a number of times with my H2Oc. The most interesting one is that the icon I have on my house is about 300 yds from the street on the built-in map. I always attribute it to mapping problem where their map is not in perfect synch with the GPS signal. When faced with a choice I always assume my current position is correct even when it tells me that I am not under the bridge that I am under....LOL

Daze Off

I have to agree with nl H2o color is the way to go. nav maps are great. Surprised me last weekend how good they were.

I have an i-finder H2Oc also. I really like this unit alot! The guys are right, if anyone is in the market for one, get the color...it is really easy to see what is what from a glance. The only thing I don't really like is the cost of the chips-especially since I need multiple ones for the different areas I fish. Some lakes are not too accurate at all-so some may be disappointed if they are relying on this unit solely for determining depth. Overall, I wouldn't be without it though!

Justin