• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tullibee Die Off (Probably Old News)

This may be old news to most, but I drove past gull on the way home from a camping trip yesterday and checked out the landing on the eastshore and saw the whole shoreline littered with dead tullibee (some had to be at least 2 pounds). They looked like they had been dead for a couple days, when did the die off occur? Seeing all those tullibee made me drool over the thought of tying into a few once the lake finally freezes over. Managed to catch a few bass from the dock as well...my first ever gull lake fish!!!

I was on the lake last week, and I think it was the day after the hail and winds.

Seems like it happened during the middle of last week Tues-Wed. The whole east shoreline is loaded with dead tullibees.

Jason Erlandson

It was mid last week when the die off happened... As you know I live on the lake. Same thing happened last year about the same time. The surface temp last week on the main lake was around 82 - 83 degrees...pretty warm... this cool spell with wind and some rain should really help all of the area lakes.

The walleye bite is picking up as you mentioned in your report. Also some large Northern pick on big structure.

Is it possible when these die offs occur that more pike than normal can be caught near shore (eating the dead tullibees)? This could be just coincidence, but while casting from the dock (with a cisco imitating lure) I had a northern bite my line off. So I'm just curious.