Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milkdud

Gas Gauge

9 posts in this topic

The gas gauge on my boat does not read properly. When I fill the tank up the needle goes way beyond the Full line. When I bought this boat a used (2001 Lund Pro Sport) the guy never told me about the bad gauge and I ran out of gas eight miles out on Lake of the Woods because when the gauge reads a little under a half a tank your out of gas. Is there a way to re-calibrate the gauge or do I need to buy a new one? How do you install a new gas gauge if I do need to?

Thanks!

The problem probably isn't the gas gauge - it's the sender.

You can buy replacement senders and probably have better luck bending the length of the sender yourself and get a little better accuracy.

marine_man

How do you reach the gas tank? I believe it is under the floor in my boat? Any tips in how to chsnge a sending unit?

Duddly, I believe it's under the center panel in your floor. You just have to pull the screws out and lift the board. Replacing the sending unit is very easy- remove the wires connected to it (write down EXACTLY how they're connected, don't try remember it- draw a diagram), remove several screws, pop out the old sending unit, go to a marine dealership and get a new one (bring some lube, because it's going to be way more pricey than a little unit like that should be), pop it in, put in screws and wires- viola!

I believe the floats on them can go bad- does anyone ever just replace the floats? I assume you're generally better off replacing the whole unit since you're in there, huh?

I'd replace the whole sender... 95% of the time it's the sender itself and not the float - and if you're going to open up the floor and mess with it I'd just as soon replace it.

marine_man

I'm having the same type problem on my Smoker Craft. It shows full when I fill it but stops going down once it gets down to half full. I hope I have a center board with easy access. confused.gif

Thanks Scoot I will give that a try!

RonZych,

Check the floor in your Smokercraft for an access cover. Mine's right over the wiring to the tank. No need to take out the centerboard.

Quote:

Check the floor in your Smokercraft for an access cover. Mine's right over the wiring to the tank. No need to take out the centerboard.

Thanks for the info, I will check once it stops raining. grin.gif