Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bbells

Saganaga next week, anything biting?

2 posts in this topic

Going up to the saganaga area next week and was wondering if anyone has had any luck there recently. What's biting? What's working? Thanks!

I was just up there with a buddy and his two kids doing a loop in the canoe, 7 days. The smallies were going nuts. Mostly on leaches either under slip rigs or jigged 6-12" off of the bottom. Found them on drops between 10 - 20 feet of water. Did best right off of shore lines with access to deeper water. Hit a number on trolled cranks. Didn't spend tons of time on Sag proper but the pattern held for all of the lakes. Walleyes and lakers were slow, but a few. Trolled cranks for them as well. Couple of big northerns.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Stick in Mud
      How big are the hooks you're using, wookie?   Make sure they're big enough, especially if you're using big minnows.    I also use heavier line than most people (10 lb flouro) on our rattle reels so I can set the hook with a bit of gusto without worrying about breaking off.  I might get a few less bites than my friends using 4 lb or 6 lb test, but in the long run I bet we both get the same number of fish on the ice. 
    • Wanderer
        Lighten up Francis!  LOL!  It was a blanket statement.  We see it all the time.     If you wanna get away from Sillytown, keep on fishin!  
    • eyeguy 54
      it's the whoppers pic
    • FishinCT
      I have read that mercury levels are a reason there is no commercial harvest on vermilion. But it was probably the same thing you read as I have not found a second source of that. There is commercial harvest of rustys on other Minnesota lakes so there must be a reason it's not done here.    For or what it's worth, the DNR has suggestions on how much fish to eat because of mercury.
    • monstermoose78
      Well @leech~~ if the ice stays let's go get you some crappies