• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

e-collars

fishroger

Thinking about getting an e-collar for my dog. He is 6 months old, lab. Have looked at Dogtra website. Couldnt make it to Game fair for all the rep info. Suggestions anyone with experience with e-collars.

I have owned a tritronics and now own a Dogtra 2000 T&B and like it much better. Both are good units I just didn't like the bulky transmitter for the tritronics.

i have a dogtra 200ncp...cheap..$200...works fantastic. ive had it since Duke was 3 months.

I have the same dogtra unit that earth has and I love it also. However, it is the first one I have had and can not compare it to others.

LovenLifeGuy

Tritronics all the way!!!!!!! New g2 and Sports are not bulky. best Customer Relations I've ever seen!!!

defintly the dogtra here. I have used Tritonics for years but ever since trying the dogtra I havn't looked back! I would caution you though on using it too early. I would also suggest getting professional help when introducing. E-collars are great but remember they are really only a long leash. They are not a remote control as some people think. I have seem many dogs ruined because of handlers that over used it. With a well trained dog you should really very seldom need it. Again really like having a long leash to reinforce what the dog knows on your 6 ft leash. Obedience, obedience, obedience is the key to any e-collar Sorry for the raving. I wouldn't look any farther than dogtra. good luck!!

I am a Dogtra guy. I had the 1200NCP when I only had one dog and loved it. Now I have the 1702NCP for both of my labs. I really like the Dogtra because of the small size of the transmitter and the fact that it is waterproof. I really like the 1700 too because of the LED display for intensity. It is very nice to be able to read it in a dark blind early in the morning. One thing I strongly recommend no matter what brand you buy is buying one with a pager mode. I have my labs trained to check back when they are paged so I don't have to go through a field whistling the whole time to get their attention. It works very well. I have not had to actually use a "shock" on my female(Libby) for two seasons now. The page is all she needs to be corrected.

Without being a nag, might I too caution the use of the collar too early-and then, too often. Be sure your dog is already dependably conforming to the baisc stuff: Sit, Stay, Heel. Come.

And be VERY cautious and careful with the collar when you do use it.

If you want a slinking, skulking, crawling terrified whimp of a dog just blast hell out of him for every little mistake with your E-collar.

I'v often said there should be two collars with each unit. The dog wears one and YOU wear the other. C'mon now...your in this training effort together, right? grin.gif

I bought a Dogtra 500P unit along over 5 years ago and couldn't have been more pleased. It has the page function which works well for me when I want to reinforce commands without shocking him, it will just vibrate. A few months ago I e-mailed them and told them I have been very pleased so far with my unit, they decided to overnight me a free decal and hat free of charge. Just do a little research and I think you will find something that suits your needs.

I've had my Dogtra 1200NCP for 3 years now and have never had a problem with it. Very dependable

I have been looking at the Dogtra collars and have a 10 month old lab. I was looking at the 200ncp model for $200. Would that be large enough (size) to fit on a lab?

I like the 1700 with the LED display, but I don't think I need "high" power and a two dog system. So I thought the 200ncp would be better especially with the price.

Nater

Quote:

I have been looking at the Dogtra collars and have a 10 month old lab. I was looking at the 200ncp model for $200. Would that be large enough (size) to fit on a lab?

I like the 1700 with the LED display, but I don't think I need "high" power and a two dog system. So I thought the 200ncp would be better especially with the price.

Nater

The 200ncp should definitely fit a lab unless it is really extremely large. Dogtra also sells replacement collars for the actual collar around the dogs neck and you can swap out the receiver if your dog outgrows it eventually. All of the Dogtra collars I have owned have been way more than enough for my male and female labs. If you are looking at the 1700 too, the actual 1700 is a one dog model, the 1702 is the two dog model. So the price difference would be 1700 for $299 or the 200 for $199. The big thing I would consider between the two is the 1700 has a waterproof transmitter and the 200 only has a water resistant transmitter. So if you duck hunt a lot in water the water resistant model might have some problems down the road. I know with my 1700 and the 1200 I had before I have looked down many times while out in waders to see my transmitter underwater. Something to consider. Either way I think you would be happy with a Dogtra. I just did a quick search on the internet and see you can get the 1700NCP for around $250 from quite a few places if you do a little searching.

Hi Marty:

If you don't remember me I bought a pup (Moose is his name) from you in march. He is way ahead of my expectations, as far as training goes. I've been thinking of getting a e-collar. Do you think it's too soon yet (he will be 7 months in september)? Which one do you reccomend? I will try to email you a few of his hunting pics this fall.

Thanks in advance

Chad

Hey Marty!. I got willy from the same litter. Man , hes full of it. Hes strong as an ox. He flushed 3 grouse last week in the brush by the house, was he excited, hes got a great nose already. Hes going to the dakotas this fall for pheasant, hope he learns. Have done some gun work with him already. Hes pretty steady with the gun sound. He loves to swim and retrieve. Probably will get an e-collar soon, got some good feed back here. Good to hear from you.

We have an Innotek two dog unit with beepers and a sportdog two dog unit with beeper. The Innotek is a piece of garbage. It's the second Innotek collar I've owned - I thought the first was a lemon but have come to the conclusion that they sell a bad product. The collars have an internal antennae- it is inside the collar, and they break often. In three years I've probably purchased 4 or 5 collars. The Sportdog was used hunting last year and seems to be a decent product. I like that the beeper is a separate unit that can be removed. Haven't had any problems with the sportdog.

Great to hear the pups are both doing well, and this is the at the 6 month mark! Both of my dogs had setbacks with their training at 6 months because of teething, but once you are through this stage, they should be ready to rock this fall. I am a Dogtra guy and would look at the 1700NCP for the reasons I mentioned above, but I do a lot of waterfowl hunting so the waterproof transmitter is a big deal for me. Both of my dogs were collar conditioned at 6-7 months and it worked out great for both of them, but I would say be really careful that you are only reinforcing already learned commands. There are great videos and books on collar conditioning. If you are going about it yourself I would try to start of with really basic commands like sit and come and let the dogs figure out that if they are not doing the command you give that there are still consequences even though they are a few yards away from you. I would also start at a very low setting. Libby has never gone above the 20 out of 100 intensity level. When I was going through training with Libby and bought her collar the trainer made me hold the collar while he "nicked" me. 20 feels less than a static shock on a door knob, but it is enough for Libby to know that she is still under my control. My male, Frank, is on the other end of the spectrum. He is around 50 on the intensity. But the same way, the nick "reminds" him he is still under control too. I have seen guys literally open up their brand new e-collars the morning of pheasant opener, strap it on their dogs, and shock away. All that accomplishes is a frightened dog that had no idea what is going on and an owner who is mad that his dog doesn't listen and it leaves the owner and the dog with a bad taste of hunting. Once a young pup is out in the field everything should already be trained and gone over and over. The first hunting trips are overwhelming enough for pups with all the new scents, birds flushing, guns shooting, guys yelling, and and whistles blowing. But if you work on collar conditioning before hand and have a working relationship going with the dog, there shouldn't be any problems with an e-collar on a 7 month old. Good luck this fall and please keep me updated with pics and stories!!