• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dyson vacuum cleaner

harvey lee

Question

Were thinking of buying a Dyson model DC animal vacumm cleaner. Wondering if anyone has used one and is it worth the money.

I bought the Dyson DC 14 last year. It's a great vacuum, unbelievable on the amount of crud it picks up.

Quote:

I bought the Dyson DC 14 last year. It's a great vacuum, unbelievable on the amount of crud it picks up.

Second this. Our old one took a dump, bought the Dyson, love it.

If you have carpet with long pile height, this vacuum will beat the tar out of the upper portion of the carpet. The vacuum cleaner does not have an height adjustment and it's strong suction sucks the carpet tufts up into the rotating brushes and fuzzes out the upper portion of the tufts. If your carpet is made out of staple fiber (pinch a few tufts together with your fingers and pull up on the tufts, if you get shorter pieces of fiber releasing, you probably have staple fiber), it will really cause the tips to fuzz out. You don't need to spend that much on a vacuum and I highly recommend one that has a manual height adjustment.

Hate to talk about vacuums here... grin.gif

But, I have had a Dyson for over 2 years and it is by far the best vacuum I've ever seen. Well worth the money. With dogs and such I was going thru at least one Hoover and Eureka a year.

For Wallabee's comment, I can agree to a certain extent...I've had area rugs get chewed, but I suggest turning the brush mode off for areas like that and use suction only.

Don't get pulled in by the marketing gimmicks of Dyson. Last year I ALMOST gave in and almost bought a Dyson also. I went to a vacuum store, not Best Buy or Wal-Mart, a real vacuum store. All they sold was vacuums. The owner of the store showed me all the vacuums they had on had, including a bunch of trade in Dysons, Rainbow, kirby, and a bunch more. With the Dyson it had a clear canister so you get to see what you were picking up, it's a illusion that you get to see the things you picked up so you think it is working. The owner show me how much suction power each vacumm had with a machine, and the Dyson only had average suction power. One model really blew all the other vacuums out of the way. Its didn't have all the fancy attachments and tools but boy did it suck. All the construction on this vacuum was heavy duty and it came with a 5 year warranty. The brand was Sanitaire. It had more suction power than any of the other vacuums. I bought a Sanitaire for way lower than a Dyson and I love it. It picks up dog hair like no tomorrow on carpet.

If you want to get some good information on vacuum cleaners check out "The Carpet And Rug Institutes" web site. Look under "Vacuum Cleaners" that have the CRI's "Seal of Approval". Again, with any of the longer pile carpets, get a vacuum cleaner with manual height adjustments. If you just turn off the rotating brushes (suction only), you are not agitating the fiber, so you are not getting the full benefit of soil removal. If you check out the web site, you will notice that not one single model of Dyson vacuums have the CRI's Seal of Approval.

Consumer Reports-and others- have tested the Dyson's extensively and the results are always the same: they come out at the bottom of the pile. A recent report has several common brands rated well above it.

I know people don't like them because they are heavy, but the old Kirby is still the absolute best vacumm ever built. Buy a used, rebuilt Kirby and see what a real, quality built vacumm is all about. And yes...they ARE heavy. And they ARE powerful. Watch out or you'll suck the laces right out of your shoes!! grin.gif

What, is Rick gonna have to start a housekeeping forum??? Unless you're sucking up fish guts, take it outside...

I posted this question in this forum as it is a forum with many viewers and it always has the answers one is looking for.

LOL, I love it... Vacume talk... well it is Expert information!...

Hey Tom.. the wife and I did a little shopping last year.. and I would like to think we did quite a bit of research last year before we dumped the moolah... We went quite a few different places, and the Dyson was a decent one, but we didn't end up getting it. We have 3 casts, one sheds enough to make a pillow everyday.. LOL ok, maybe not that much... but anyway.. . We ended up getting a Riccar. Much more metal parts and seemed in my opinion way way way better built! We have a profesional house cleaner who comes twice a month, she leaves her profesional vac at home, and uses ours as she likes it better! To me, that says a TON!!!! before you buy just check them out, maybe they arent for you.. but worth looking into.

Thanks guys for all the replies so far. I would rather be out fishing but I guess vacuum cleaner shopping is what my wife would like to look into this weekend. Sometimes one has to do what one has to do. Friday night she went shopping with me to Cabelas so now I'm helping look for the vacuum cleaner of the year.

Go vacuum cleaners. smile.gif

harvey Lee - I think there was a thread here on this a few months ago. We had one of the old heavy Kirby's and thought it was the real deal. Did some research on Consumer Reports and found Dyson's rated amoung the upper end, as well as some others. The "Best Buy" and top rated one was a Sears kenmore model 35923500 (if I remembered that right when I walked back here to type it) progressive direct drive. I think it was a bit under $300 a year or so ago.

It's got a dirt sensor light, and adjustable beater. Best one we've had - picked up a BUNCH more dirt than the Kirby did, and made a visible difference in the carpet appearance. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. My two.

We have had our Dyson for three years now and as far as I am concerned they can't be beat. I have helped sell several more since we have had ours. If you would like further testimonials

go to any of the dog forums. They are awesome for dog hair!!!

I've had friends brag about the Dyson so when our vac went down last year that's what the wife wanted. We got the pet hair one and it works awesome. I know a few more others that have gotten them since and I haven't heard a bad word about them yet. I know the kirbys are real well too, my folks have had one for years but they paid like a grand for it.

Quote:

Go vacuum cleaners.
smile.gif

No doubt! Fall Sturgeon Season on the Croix opens Sept 1!

Yippee!

Here is another opinion on Dyson. We seem to burn out a vacuum about every 2 or 3 years. We had a Dyson and at first it was great. However, we remodeled our home and the Dyson didn't make it through that. We did not use it as a shop vac or anything like that, only on regular carpet and rugs. It lost suction because dust proliferated the motor and since it was one month beyond the warranty period, it was not covered. Can you imagine? Dust wrecking a vacuum!

I brought it to a repair guy and he said they are not all they are cracked up to be. There is a filter in them that only a tech can change. He did, charged me $100, and it still didn't have decent suction. That vacuum is now at the bottom of the Elk River Landfill and we are the proud owners of a new Oreck with a 10 year warranty. It works pretty good and it is light. At least they back up thier product!

Also - now the experts are saying that a bagged vac is better than bagless, so you don't breath what your vacuum picks up.

You guys all have it wrong. Go hardwood all the way and you don't worry about a vaccuum. grin.gif Just sweep and condition once a quarter or so.

Quote:

Also - now the experts are saying that a bagged vac is better than bagless, so you don't breath what your vacuum picks up.

I talked to a guy from an actually vac store a year ago and he said the same thing, go bagged, he told me because of their design they would outlast a bag-less. He said the design of a bag-less vac would eventually lose suction because of how they sucked things up or something like that and that it ruined the motor area. He showed me some examples of the damage but I really didn't understand everything he told me, lol. I just remember he said go bagged not bag-less.

Yeah you buy a bagless and you are done, you buy a bagged one especially the more expensive ones that do a good job of filter you are gonna be back buying bags. Consider how much you spend on bags over a few years, espcially if you have pets.

I agree “upnorth” also, I have had the Dyson DC Animal for over two years now. I know it is the best vacuum I have ever had. With two labs I was changing bags twice a week. I did the research also and I think they are worth every penny.

Ha ha i never though about having to buy bags from him. The ones he pointed out, you probably can't just run to Wal-mart to pick up the bags. You know what they say, a sucker is born every minute!

We bought a Dyson three years ago and I only have positive things to say about it. Its by far the best vacuum we have owned. However I can't say that I have owned a Kirby, Oreck or some of the other high end vacs. Our prior vacs have generally been Kenmore or Hoover.

We have two labs who are house dogs and we suck up enough hair each week to build a new dog. Not having a bag is a big plus in my opinion.

We have 4 cats and my wife runs a daycare out of our home so we have no choice but to vacuum every day. We bought a Dyson animal and thought it was great over our old Kirby but realized that it would not get the edges very well and if there was cat fur stuck in the carpet it would take a couple of passes. With the furniture attachment it did a good job on the couch to take fur off. In time it seemed to lose suction but only through the beaters cause the hose still seemed pretty strong but it was not clogged at all. We read about the Hoover that Consumer Reports liked the best and went to Sears and told the sale rep we wanted that one and he knew right away which one we wanted and we have never used the Dyson again. It works great on everything and has the furniture attachment and going on 3 years seems to be holding up well. I think it was about half the price of the Dyson but it has been a couple of years since we have shopped. Hope this helps Harvey.

Actually most bagged vacuums you could just buy the bag at places like wal-mart. I bought my vacuum, Sanitaire, because it is made of heavy duty parts. This brand is used by many commercial companies for years. A lot of heavy duty metal parts are used in this vacuum. You will notice that Dyson is made of plastic. Remember what is a vacuum suppose to do, SUCK. Thats why I bought the one with the most suction power. Even the Dyson's so called animal brush was copied from Sanitaire. Just look around I think you will find better vacuums than Dysons, for the same price or even lower.

I appreciate everyone's input, but it seems like a lot of people naturally think they have the best. As long as one is happy with their purchase then good for them. I prefer to search Consumer Reports and hold their recommendations highly. Hopefully, they are neutral. (Price comes into play from there on.)