• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wharf

Matt C

I hear its very shallow out of that resort? I will be staying up there Thurs through Sun. 18.5 Deep V OK? Or am I going to be pushing? Rocks to be aware of?

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!

Sorry I do not know how Wharf is.

It is shallow all over the state. I have heard of was outs at the end of launch's that have over a 2" drop on them. People back boat down launch and "bang", soon as the hit the very end of the launch concrete pad and their tires hit the water, down goes trailer. There is a post in one of the river forums about this. This is a launch that when the water is high, boats would just float right off. Now the water is down so low, you have to drive almost down to the end of ramp and if you do not look in water or check with a stick. Bang! Down she goes!

Bunt2k, Happy B-day.

I have heard that it is becoming very hard to get in and out of there harbor with the water as low as it is.

Thanks Paul. I may just drive to your resort then to launch the boat.! smile.gif Looks like your right next door.

Their harbor channel was pretty low when I was there at the end of June, so I would think it must be pretty sketchy by now.

The reason you get that "bang" is from people power landing their boat. It pushes all the dirt back. I even saw a guy put his boat at about 1/4 throttle ,walk to the front, hook the boat, crank it up a little, then walk back and drop the throttle. The damage this does to the landings is terrible. I have a roller trailer, and it will roll off, but when you do it correctly it is not an issue. Please stop power landing! If you need help please ask someone!

davesfriend i will meet you at a boat launch and let you load my boat without power a 620 with a 250 4 stroke and a kicker is not possible to crank on the trailer we use the acceses also and when its your only option theres nothing you can do especially when the people behind you are trying to get in the water so if we didnt powerload and cranked it up everyone would complain about that give it a rest!

I also need to powerload its the ONLY way to get my boat on a bunk trailer!! Maybe if enough people call the DNR they will come with a backhoe & dig out the hump. It worked at Farm Island lake! I think that the resorts on Mille Lacs have more clout with the DNR than we the people or there would be better public accesses. I may be way off base with that comment but I am entitled to my opinion.

Launch was fine. They were dredging out the channel when we got up there on Thursday. 1.5FOW. Ended up putting in at Twin Bay Thursday and Friday though due to the mud they stirred up.

Is it really difficult to put a boat on a bunk trailer? I have seen guys put the trailer "under the water" and drive the boat on, shut of and crank er right up there. I don't have a problem with driving it up at a rapid pace, it is just when the boat is on the trailer leaving the boat at high RPM's in gear really messes things up. Maybe I am way off base, but if you have the trailer in far enough won't the boat go on there? And if bunk trailers are so tough to land on why are they so popular? I am not trying to pee in anyones cornflakes it may be I just don't understand. Either way you have just as much right to be there as I do.

Sorry for the rant, I just don't want stuff broken if it don't need to be...

It has alot to do with how steep the launch grade is. If it is too steep (like the Wharf's) and you put the whole trailer in the only contact with the boat would be at the winch. In my case the nose of the boat would be under the bow bumper at that amount of grade. You need to have contact with the bunks to have the boat lined up properly. Side to side and lenghtwise. Very few boat ramps are at the perfect grade. In the case of the wharf, like a lot of ramps if you go to far back the wheels will fall of the concrete and then nobody will be using the ramp for the next couple of hours as you try to get your trailer off the ground. Most boats are sold with bunk trailers today. Especially the large fiberglass and aluminum walleye boats. When I fish alone I don't have much of a choice. One tip I will pass along to all bunk trailer owners is after fishing all day and the carpet is good and dried out after sitting in the sun all day. Spray a whole can of 100% silicone on your bunks. Be careful your bunk trailer will behave very differently. It will act alot like a roller trailer. So don't unhook the boat untill it's over the water! This can now be a pain because its hard to unhook the boat when it wants to slide off on a steeper launch. You hit a happy medium of slip and grip after a short while. Lasts about 1 year. I do it annually.

All you have to do is back the bunks all the way in to get them wet. I find that with my 18 ft deep V aluminum boat, I leave about 30% of the bunks out of the water, no matter the grade. With minimal power, I can drive the boat all the way up or within a foot. It is always straight as well. Another tip when unloading is to actually back your boat off of the bunks. It doesn't take much.

Bunks do a much better job of supporting your boat if you are a person who trailers a lot. Rollers can be hard on a heavy boat.

I do see a lot of people with rollers and bunks who really don't know what they are doing. They should watch how others do it to see what works and what doesn't.

Good point "JDM" I have a 175 sportfish witch may not be as heavy as some others but with a 125 2stroke and 9.9 fourstroke and 30 gallons of gas I am guessing it is pretty heavy. I have a roller trailer, and if not done correctly it will not stay on the trailer. Especially on steep launches. So far even on steep inclines I have not even had the motor running during landing. I have only had this boat about two months but have landed lots of times at all different landings. I bet that I could probabley land a boat on bunks with no problem. It stays where you put it. On mine it falls of immediatley. I guess it all depends on who teaches you to use your trailer....:)