• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Federal Shells

I have a 870 Remington Super Magnum 3-1/2" chamber that I've been using for waterfowl hunting for 3 years. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem that I've had using 3" federal steel shells. I used to be a big fan of Federal since they're local and they spend a lot for good causes, but I cannot use their 3" or 3-1/2" in my gun cause they jam up. Even after a thourough cleaning ir still happens. I've even talked to a well known gun-smith and even he says he's had customers camplaining about them. Winchester or Remmington Shells are no problem. I've talked to the Federal People at the Gamefairs and they act like they've never heard about it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

i have a rem 870express also but it only takes 2 3/4,or 3" shells, i have had the same excact problem as you but only with the winchester xpert shells,they always jam and i have to pump twice to get that second n third shell in the chamber, remingtons,kents, feds, estaits all go threw smooth, just the winchesters have trouble??? who knows man!!

I've been shooting an old Winchester 120 for the last couple years and i've never had any problems with federal on winchester loads, i hunt with 2 guys who use 870's as well and they don't seem to have problems either.

how is it that they are jamming up? are the hulls expanding outward sticking in the chamber, or is the extractor not catching the brass? im just curious.

Get a drill, a 10" long 1/4" dowell, and some scotch-brite.

Attatch the scotch-brite to the dowell with tape and wrap just enough so it is the same diameter as the chamber of the barrel where the shell slides in. Run the drill slowly into the chamber running the scotch-brite just about 3-4" deep.

First before you do this, check the roughness to see the difference from before to after polishing.

I had to do this to my 870 becacuse it had a rough chamber and would not eject shotgun slug shell hulls after shooting them. But after polishing, they all pop out smooth as silk! wink.gif

As a matter of fact, I have done this to all my shotguns with good results! grin.gif

I shot an 870 for many years and had the same problem with 3" shells. This was before the days of the 3 1/2" 12gauge shells. The spent federals were always a little bit longer than spent winchesters and therefore jam more often. Been shooting winchester in every gone I own for a long time now.

Plain and simple Federals Steels S*ck!!!! Shot some 3 inches in my Remington 1187 last year and i always got 1 out of 3 shells stuck in the chamber shooting all 3 at once. confused.gif Also Federal Steel just patterns horribly with both my 2 guns( 1100 and 1187). mad.gif I recommend Hevi shots or Winchster steel shots. Deadly combo... grin.gif

I have never been a fan of Federal shells but if I had to use my 870 as a reference point all shells would be super. At age 13 it was my first shot gun. That thing shot every shell ever put in it, including reloads, without ever jamming 1 time. That gun was also on the bottom of the slough twice and has taken a severe beating. It still works like a dream.

So my question is: You have one of the most popular guns in the 870 and one of the most popular shells in Federal, why hasn't it been addressed my those manufacturers?

Been shootin the Remington Super Mag for several years now, and never had a problem with it cycling any brand shell. Still own my first 870 express also, from 15+ years ago, put almost ten boxes of shells thru it this spring shootin snow geese. Great gun !!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

So my question is: You have one of the most popular guns in the 870 and one of the most popular shells in Federal, why hasn't it been addressed my those manufacturers?

Some state it's an issue with the 870s and Federals. But it happens with all brands of shotguns and shell combos. Have references we have 3 870s in or duck hunt group and all shoot Federal Steel. Great patterns and no jams. I personally have put 1000s of rounds of steel through my 1100 with Federal steel and got great patterns with my modified barrel. Not the case with Remington steel though. Every gun is different.

Go Figure. wink.gif

Back to the original question though. The flite Control wads "generally" pattern best out of non wad stripping chokes that are more open. Your results may vary.

If this was a big problem, Federal Cartridge would have addressed it. Federal will stand behind their product more than any other manufacturer in my opinion. If you feel that you have received bad product, I would call product services at Federal and explain your situation. I know they will help you out. It will help if you have the lot # of the ammo that you have been shooting. It is in there best interest to make ammo that works in every gun - especially the 870 which the majority of hunters probably shoot.

One other note regarding this thread. All complaints have been in regards to Remington guns. I am not bashing them, I own three Remingtons myself. But, the 870 is one of the cheapest shotguns and to use the old cliche " you get what you pay for".

My 2 cents,

Mysterio

I own 2 Winchester 1300's. I can't shoot a Federal shell in any of them. Every single Federal shell will jam, 100% guaranteed. So, it's not only Remmington.

On the flip side, I have an 870 Wingmaster that shoots Federal shells just fine.

I was shooting Federal ammo out of my 1 1/2 year old 11-87 and I broke a weld in part of ejector system. I was in ND with no operating gun. It probably was Remington’s issue, but I won’t use either manufactures stuff from then on. I shoot Benelli and Faststeel. I have a Nova and a M1 and wouldn’t trade those guns for anything other than a Super Black Eagle II.

Remington did give me my money back, actually Gander Mountain did and they took it up with Remington. I actually cut my hand because metal came shooting out the ejector port.

BG,

I would honestly give the guys at Federal a call. I am sure they would appreciate your input and also help you out with any problems. If you can guarantee them that there shells will jam, I am posative they would love to take a look at your guns and find out the problem.

Seems odd why they wouldn't work out of the 1300. My uncle runs 100% Federal through his and hasn't had an issue.

Weird?

Trophy,

I could see how you wouldn't want to touch either brand with a 10" pole, don't blame ya, but I wouldn't count out Federal. If you like shooting steel - give the new black cloud a try. I shot it at ducks last year and the stuff was phenominal.

Also, not to scare you off of what ammo you like to shoot - to each is own - but the big three ammo manufacturers are part of a voluntary association that has set manufacturing standards that the volunteer companies must comply with. These standards are put in place by input from firearm manufacturers as to what is safe and reliable to shoot through their product. I belive the association is S.A.A.M.I. (Kent is not involved in this association - not that it makes it bad ammo - but something to think about)

Interesting little peice of info I learned from a firearm rep.

Mysterio

Ray, I'm not trying to ruffle Federals feathers. I know they are a good company and would do what they need to do to make things right. I just don't think it's solely a problem with Remmington shotguns and Federal shells. I hear it all the time from different gun owners with different shells. One guys 870 will not eject Winchester shells, another dudes 1300 will not eject Federal shells, and so on and so on.

I understand a Winchester 1300 is not a top grade shotgun, and this is to be expected when buying one. It's a heck of a lot easier for me to shoot Winchester shells through my gun instead of handing it over to a gunsmith or Federal to have it made suitable for Federal shells.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hey 1300s are great guns. They usually throw a great pattern and we've had very few issues with them. The two we have even shoot all the ammo out there without issues. wink.gif

See??? One guys gun works great with a type of shell and another guys doesn't.

Weird.

Quote:

But, the 870 is one of the cheapest shotguns and to use the old cliche " you get what you pay for".

You sure do get what you pay for... you get one heck of a good shotgun! grin.gif

I had a Mossberg 20ga pump that would not eject the speed shot shell's. But it was fine with the ultra shock loads so I really don't know.

I heard some time ago that Remington was machining the chambers of their shotguns slightly smaller in order to promote sales of their own brand of ammunition.