• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Baiting

maros91

I got 2 out of 3 baits out this morning. Both on private land. My help that was suppose to show up at 7 this morning decide to go and have a few last night and couldn't make it. My 3rd station is deep in public land and I need an extra hand. I think I will hold off baiting this one until Aug. 24th or later. 1st station consist of donuts, trail mix, dog food, licorice, chocolate and some blueberry and bacon spray. 2nd station consists of donuts, trail mix, dog food, licorice, gummies, and berry patch bear bait. 5 gallon bucket of grease, 18lb blueberry scent ball hanging from a tree, and blueberry and bacon scent spray. I was going to take pics but forgot the camera. Lets use this post to tell if your baits have been hit or not.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maros91

• Boar

• Antler_Creek_Taxidermy

• roosterslayer

Yea went out to my site, what a nightmare. I got to my trail head an would'nt ya know, large tree fell across, oh well, get through that one, ten yard an another tree fell across the trail, Ok, no problem, Hm Hm Hm do de do, another, an another 4 trees fell across my trail, not fun. I decend down into the river bottom an look at my stand, I leave it up, private land. I have a two seat ladder stand with gun rest, an about where my neck would be sitting down, the 12 in popple had snapped clean off, got lucky nothing happend to the stand but it could have been way worse. So here I am putting my crib together an filling it with doughnut pizzas molasses feed mix spayed some hickory scent all over, I soon realized I dont have a tree limb to hang my bacon ball anywheres near the site except one on the opposite side of the crib out of shooting lane. well i had to opt for that one an really have to try an bait the side of the crib nearest the shooting lane which I do any way but I'm afraid he might favor the side nearest the bacon ball. When I hunt I'll have to leave niblets on the shooting side. A little niblet trail that'll lead him into the shooting lane. Anyway I'm just glade to baiting, I'ts been a long year an waiting. Good luck guys. Boar

Thanks Ozzie but I'll let my cousin take the long walk with a couple heavy buckets into the thick swamp and see if he needs any help. You bear hunting this year?

Boys,

I agree, it's good to be getting out there again. Bear hunting is always the kick off the season for me. I headed up to the hunting shack on Friday and I spent all day Saturday (today) laying out 6 baits. I've got two cameras out so hopefully I'll be posting some pictures next weekend. I hope this cool weather continues!

Checked the baits today and was 0-3. It's only been 2 days. I will check them on Tuesday again. Anyone ever put bait out in the morning and pull it in the evening? Sounds like a swell way to get a bear to come in during daylight. I think I might do this since I pass one of my baits everyday on the way to work. Where abouts you hunting Hubercita?

I have pulled my baits if the bear have been hitting late but not until I have the baits going.

Baited Fri, whent camping Sat. afternoon, check my site today Sun. An the place was tore up. Yeaaa! Bear got my scent ball. Booooo! Might get another one, but I dont know, The bear knows where the site is, but i was hoping to try an pull in multiple bears via the scent ball, cause I'd like to take two for no quota. Would you guys buy another if ya coulds afford it? Boar

HL- I will start doing the morning/afternoon thing once my bait starts getting hit.

Boar- I would get another one if you could afford it. I got mine hanging about 10ft off the ground. Like you stated before about no good trees to hang it in the same applies to me. I got it hanging on a big piece of brush. It's a decent spot but if the bear wanted to he could knock the brush over and get it. I may have to switch it. I will check my baits tomorrow after work.

Got 4 baits out on Sat. 1 got hit immediatley, but looks like wolf more than bear, logs were barley moved and apples were let there. Hope to get a track in the next day or two. We are usiong primarely dogs food grease doughtnuts and fruits. After 11 years of hunting bears these seem to work the best. Good hunting to everyone!!!

Biff- I don't hunt bear but don't mind doing things in the woods if I have a reason......I have been interested in the baiting process and I think I might someday bait to film but I don't have a reason or desire to shoot a bear. Good Luck and like I said if you ever need a little help just give me a call......

Checked one bait today. Nothing. This is the bait I got one at last year. This bait didn't turn on until after the season started. I don't think it is a very good spot. 60 acres or so of woods/lowlands surrounded by hayfields and cornfields. I will check the other 2 tomorrow after work. These 2 are back in a nasty swamp and should have a hit coming soon I would think.

No logs rolled but 90% bait was gone, mabey a scooper cub but not one log disturbed. Squirel ? What ever it was took all the doughnuts, Pizzas, dogfood. Weird? I reset an was criticle on log placement so's not to have an big holes. Ordered another bacon ball should be here thursday. I think I'm I gonna cut it up in smaller chunks to use an hang these better, I would've thought no bear could gotten it, but thier resilant critters. I hung it ten feet up, but the tree I hung it in branched off in a Y an I think he climbed an either jumped for it or was able to reach out to it just enough an got a claw on the mesh bag an droped to the ground with his weight bringing it down with him Oh well. I'm gonna try an use some chunks of the new one to use a a bacon burn too. Later boar

Started on Friday afternoon and i wasn't too sure if the 2 bait sites i had found the weekend before would hit so i tried a bucket of doughnut and bread cover in suger and molasses per site. I also had hung a bottle of left over grease on each site. I check on Saturday morning and was 0/2. confused.gif I decided to wait another day, thinking one day was too soon and on Sunday both site was hit. laugh.gif That day i put doughnut, bread, dog food, cookies, cooking grease, and to top it all up with syrup on both site. I'll be checking it up on Wednesday. I'll post more on my 2 sites on Wednesday. cool.gif Good luck with everyone's bait site.

We put 10 baits out last Friday. Had 4 hits on Saturday & three on Sunday. Two on Sunday were hit the previous day. Hopefully we can keep them coming in. Been using primarily Apples, oats, oil, & some fish guts. I got some carp in the freezer I think we'll put out this weekend. Anyone used them before? I imagine they will start smelling pretty good later in the week. laugh.gif

Good Luck everyone!!

Checked my other two baits tonight. Nothing. About 100 bees found my scent ball. What do you guys think of soggy bait from the rain? Take it out and put dry stuff in or what. Dog food and donuts looked pretty mushy. Any thoughts? Natural berry's are everywhere I looked.

I always replace sggy bait with fresh stuff after a rain, scatter it around the site or whatever, I just like the use the freshest bait available at all times. He who with the best bait wins. Lots of berries around huh? Tough to pull them off that, the way I see it why go to someone elses fridge when yours is full. Last year when the acorns fell hard by the billions I should have held off baiting tell bear, deer, squirls had taken care of them, I had depleted to much bait time an gas an had to stop at the end of Sept. I should have hunted hard the last two weeks of the season. A lesson learned. Just something to keep in mind when it comes to the bears natural forage when there is an over abundance of it. I see no signs of mass acorns around here an the berries are all burnt off so I should have a good bait season up here. I'll be checking my site tomorrow the thursday me an the family are heading for four days on a little trip, I have a guy helping out but it is gonna drive me nuts till I get back. Boar

Well I checked the baits I put out for my dad and brother and 1 out of the 3 were hit. The one that was hit was completly tore up and all the bait was gone. They seemed to really like the peanut butter I stuck on a log, has he almost chewed the log in half. They even started digging a hole where the grease was. There looks to be a few bears coming into the bait, judging by the tracks. They also tried to eat the ribbons I had on the trees, to mark my trail to the bait ( I must have had some grease on my hands when I tied them up). I put up the camera and hope to get the pics posted when I get back on friday. Unfortunatly my bait in the no quota area by St.Cloud wasn't hit but I did find fresh tracks a couple hundred yards from the bait. I going to check that bait tomarrow and pick up my memmory card from the cuddeback, there should be some good buck pics on it( I hope).

Good luck baiting!!!!!!

I use to get some frosting in 5 gallon pails from a bakery and pour over the logs on top of my bait. Man would those bears rip those logs apart.

Those bears must have had a sticky muzzle after all that frosting and probably a belly ache for sure.

I will replace the bait on Wednesday morning before work. The scent ball is doing it's part. I can smell that thing from a mile away! Need some bears to co-operate.

Yepper, bearscents Make them, and you can add the w's an (Contact Us Please) com to bearscents to access their website. Try the bacon ball. Boar

We went out Saturday the 18th and got our 9 baits out, just got back from checking and rebaiting and all 9 sites were just hammered! I have never seen destruction like that. According to trail timers 3 of the sites were hit in the first 4 hours! I've never had the problem of trying to decide which of the 9 the 3 of us hunting will concentrate most on or if it will be a game time decision? I know the 1st cannot get here quick enough! Gook luck to all!

Well, check out my 2 bait site today and nothing. frown.gif It looked the same way the same day i left it. confused.gif Don't know if there is still too much food source for them right now or it might just be the weather. crazy.gif I just added some more apple scented gel to the logs and around the area. Will check it out again on friday and if it doesn't get hit by then, then i'm planning to move it. mad.gif

Last year I got some grease/oil and put it into a garden sprayer. (The ones you fill up weed killer into -pump kind)

I sprayed every tree, bush, rock and log I could on the way into my stand. Sprayed my boots - the whole place smelled like grease; anyways that was the only night I saw any bear. Just an idea. Maybe try blueberry mixed with water???

still pretty quit for us, 4 sites had 2 hits but no one returned, we put out 700 lbs of bird suete on tuesday, we will see how that works, anyone else ever use that stuff. We are near Cook and its bone dry. Hoping for better results soon!!

I have never used suet before but I read in a magazine that bears love suet in the spring and don't care for it in the fall. I myself have never used it. Checked all 3 baits tonight. Nothing. I will freshen things up a bit by adding more grease and spraying some more scent. If nothing happens by the end of the weekend I may have to move. Same thing happened last year, no hits on the bait until after the season started. I am not worried yet.

I just got back from baiting and I REALLY WISH I HAD A TAG. All 3 baits were hit that I put out for my dad and brother. The first bait was destroyed, the 2nd bait looked like a small cub found it and the 3rd bait took a hard hit. We baited at about 11:00 and a half hour later the bears started coming in. The camera took 58 pics in under 2 days untill a bear ATE THE BATTERY! Here are a couple of the pics(notice I had to rotate the images 180 degrees because the bears fliped the camera upside down): ICAM0023.jpgICAM0028.jpg It looks like a chocolate brown colored sow and it looks to be big (I WISH I HAD A TAG)

ICAM0058.jpg

There looks to be atleast 4-5 bears hitting just this one bait. Theres alot of pics but these are some of the better ones.

Looks to me like the top two want to polka. Looks like you have some good baits going there.