Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team Otter

"The Problem" continues...

18 posts in this topic

There is an awfully strange but rewarding pattern going right now folks. I have spent a lot of time on the water over the past 10 - 12 days with both clients and friends and let me tell you, it's starting to shape up into one of those things "I've never seen before". The crappies and 'gills are absolutely tearing apart the walleye gear and then when you slow down and actually target them, "turn out the lights", as they say. Is this a problem? I'm on the fence yet. Honestly, though, I think the walleyes are there but they are losing the race to the lure. Folks, during my guide trip today we were catching 12 - 14" walleyes, 10 - 12" crappies and 8.5+" 'gills on #9 Salmo Minnows all in the same spot. For those of you unfamiliar with a Salmo Minnow, this is a 6" stick bait! Once you can't take it anymore, switch over to plastics under a float and let the games begin.

Here are just a couple of photos from today's outing. All fish were caught and released.

problem002in8.jpg

problem003er7.jpg

The #9 Salmo minnow has a length of 3 1/2" not 6" (both shallow and deep). Not sure if you special ordered these (M9SDR)?

If you are having issues targeting bigger fish using 3 1/2" baits, up the size/manufacturer and up the speed and you will be rewarded with other than 12-14" walleyes.

Good to see those crappies where still cooperating for you.

If you're fishing the lake I think you are, it's been like that since Memorial weekend. It has been strange but fun nontheless.

One observation I have noticed is that the walleye are in the same spots just a foot or two deeper. I've had lot's of success this year with crawler harnesses/bouncers while clipping along pretty good. It seems to keep the crappie and sunnies in check long enough for it to get the attention of something bigger. Once the cranks come out, big or small, casting or trolling, it's crappie central.

I just measured. The #7's in my box are 3.5" and the #9's are just a touch shy of 5". The 6" comment came from a 'guesstimate'. Thanks for checking into that and clarifying.

Live bait? Ouch. smirk.gif

Otter - you have to be on the lake I normally fish - I went out the other day and me and 2 friends landed over 300 crappies all in the 9-10 range. Kept 20 fish for eating and all others were released. They are so aggressive its unbelievable. Only time I can get eyes now is right before dark.

300? That's 30 fish per hour spread over 10 hours, which is typically "a day of fishing". The guy counting must have been the busiest one in the boat. grin.gif

That only equals 100 fish a person for the day - easy to do when you get a fish on every cast - not hard to do in a 5 hr period - thats only 20 fish per hour -

Sounds like Millers point.

Caught wallies. Alot bigger lure that dug the bottom. Had to pick weeds and scum of every cast if there was not a fish hitting. 14"-23" fish. 2'-8' deep. Still caught crappies on 8" lure.

Hey smduck - caught those crappies about 1/4 mile to the east of your place - Im sure you know what I mean.

Every other cast. I have never seen a crappie bite like it. Once in a while a sunnie in the 9" range. Enjoy it while it lasts. The wallies are there, just have to upscale to the way huge size bait and get it to plow the bottom.

The "big bait" thing is new to me too. Typically, in years past, during a large bait fish hatch the smaller lures have been king because of the vulnerability. Always something. grin.gif

I think it more of a reaction bite than ever and the large lure hitting the bottom and pausing is something different in the shallow water. Most people are to lazy to keep up with the cleaning of there lures and give up. The bigger lures seem to really work up the bottom and that may be the key. The bite lake is always evolving and changing.

With any luck at all from the weather man, I'll be out and about Thursday morning and into the early afternoon.