Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anchor man

Cost for 4-stroke outboard oil change

13 posts in this topic

What's the going rate for this type of service at a marine dealer? Yamaha 4-str. 150hp. I was up north a couple weeks ago and was quoted around $125 over the phone for an oil change. I had a full winterization at the same place for $138 last year. $125 seemed steep

Thanks

Hmmmmm. Do you get a kiss with that? shocked.gif

Never had it done, but my first guess before I even opened the post was $75-100 at a dealer...

About $60 if you do it yourself.

I don't own a 4-stroke but why does it cost so much to do an oil change? $60 to do it yourself? What is the oil and filter made out of? Holy crap!!

Bob

I don't know a thing about working on cars or boats and I changed the oil in my four stroke last fall.

I think the oil filter was a little pricey, but I don't remember that plus the oil being $60.

All you have to do is get an oil pan below the motor and unscrew the bolt on the lower unit to drain the oil. Check your owner's manual to see how many quarts to put in, change the filter and you're good to go.

I also learned how to fog the motor, grease the lower unit, etc. to get it ready for winter. Have somebody show you how to do it the first time and it's pretty simple.

Most places will charge about 100.00

Cost to do it yourself....

Oil-I buy Amsoil or Quicksilver-about same cost 5.00 a bottle(I need 4)

Filter-Quicksilver 10.00

Rags, clean-up and about an hour.

I also change my lower unit at the same time since I have the oil pan out and the mess. Add another couple bucks.

Total cost 32.00 plus an hour of my time.

I also pull my propeller and clean and lube.

Why is outboard motor oil more costly than oil for your car? What's the difference. They are both liquid cooled and in fact I would think the lake water would be a much more reliable supply of coolant.

Bob

I pay $12.95 for a gallon of yamaha oil, $7.95 for the filter. $12.95 for a lower unit oil kit. $34, plus an hour of time, plus about 6 beers, easy do it yourself job!

LOL...6 beers. Makes the job much easier!!!!

Truthfully, I use the best oil I can for my outboard because I change it once a year. Don't know why you can't use the 1.99 quart of valvoline, but I just feel better using the Quicksilver(per Merc) or Amsoil(per other happy consumers). Maybe I'm overpaying, but 30.00 a year is a small price to pay for lubrication of my outboard. Maybe add a few bucks for some beers as previously stated. I just thought that was a given.

Bass and walleye boat magazive did an oil test a while back and there were some pretty good differences between some of the brands. I'm sure it can be found somewhere on the net.

BTW most passenger oils aren't made to handle a constant 6000 rpm from an engine. High quality synthetics could handle it but I doubt $1.99 Valvoline can for the long haul. Use the good stuff that has been tested and made for outboard use. It's cheap insurance.

Does the higher rpm of outboards have a tendancy to heat up the oil more? I suppose that makes sense.

Bob

" An hour of time and 6 beers??" Drinking 6 beers an hour,

you da man. It is a piece of cake to change engine oil and

change lower unit grease. Lower unit grease has a nasty smell to me. Try it yourself.