• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Leaving a bear stand

wh1stler

Does anybody have any tricks or tips on leaving their bear stand after an unsucessful evening hunt?

I'm not worried about being eaten, I just want to do everything I can to minimize spooking the bears.

wh1stler

I brush hog a strip to and from my stand where allowable. Being able to get in and out quietly is key. Knee high rubber boots are also nice for leaving a minmum of scent behind.

When its time to go I just quietly climb down an leave. Hving a good clear path like hub mention is best.

Sometimes I think walking out after an unsuccessful hunt can get your heart pounding just as much as actually shooting a bear. You hear every movement in the brush usually on the way out. I know last year the first night I had 2 cubs come walking down my trail that I come and go on and could here momma out in the wood and of course when they left they went out the same trail I needed to leave on. Made for a fun exit that night with the muzzleloader.