Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Midwesterner

Vermillion - haven't been there in years, where to fish/stay?

19 posts in this topic

I haven't been to Lake Vermillion in probably 20 years. I can't remember much about the lake but I am thinking of renting a place there after harvest this fall. Any suggestions on where to stay or where to fish? I think I want to be towards the Cook side of the lake. Thanks.

Check out the Lake Vermilion web site for resorts on both ends of the lake.

Fish the deeper holes with jig/minnow combo in the late fall.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. I remember in the old days vermillion had a lot of rustic type places to stay. Is it still that way or has the lake "grown up" as they say? I'd prefer something simple and not too fancy. Also, are there still decent places on the lake to eat? Is Stinson's still around?

Many of the Old resorts are still here, many with improvements , but still fairly "North Woodsy"!

Have not heard the name Stinson's before. ??

Cliff

Thanks again Cliff. Stinson's, if I remember right, was near where the river leaves the lake. Has anyone stayed at White Eagle? That looks like it is in a good location and that there is a tavern nearby.

That would probably be what is now called The Vermilion Dam Lodge. Nice place and good food! grin.gif

White Eagle is also top notch from all reports!

Lots of entertainment close by also.

Cliff

Thanks again. How do people fish the Cook side of the lake in fall? Jig and minnow? Lindy and minnow? What do the fish relate to that time of year?

And how is the tavern near White Eagle, I believe it is called the Landing?

The Landing is a great place, you'll like it. Nice people, great food.

I would be prepared for any presentation for the west end. Jig and minnow has been productive for me. Crawlers fished on a jig have also worked for me that time of year.

Thanks vermilionfox. Is the Landing upscale or relaxed?

Very relaxed (casual)....I was just there last week ago and it is a very nice place with great food and a fun environment.

I agree with william wallace (scared not to grin.gif) very relaxed and casual.

The Friday night all you can eat walleye is very good.

Thanks again. Are there any other restaurants nearby?

Also, any good places to fish near white eagle? Do the fish relate to structure or mud in vermillion?

Quote:

Thanks again. Are there any other restaurants nearby?

Wolf Bay lodge

Quote:

Do the fish relate to structure or mud in vermillion?

Both.

Thanks, that is very helpful. As I look at the map, is the Partridge River a good place to fish? How about in the area between Taylors and Schmidt's Islands? Or on the other side of Taylor's Island? I'm not looking for anybody's hot spot, just some general ideas of how the fish pattern in fall.

You will find some excellent fishing from mid-september on around the areas which you mentioned. The past couple of years the lindy/crawler has continued to produce into the typical jig/minnow time. If you would like you can send me an e-mail and I would be happy to answer any questions that you still have.

Doug

Thanks Doug.

Quote:

Is Stinson's still around?

"Stinsons" is now called Wolf Bay Lodge --- Zeke and Bev sold out. Main attraction is now the restaurant/bar, and the cabins aren't the best maintained last time I looked.

There are several other good resorts on the west side (Pehrsons, White Eagle, Spring Bay Resort, Head 'O Lakes Resort) which are all near a couple restaruants/bars (Landing, Harvest Moon). Spring Bay Resort has a built-in guide available.

Doug, I still have not been able to hook up with you. Every time I stop by you are out and about (bust resort owner stuff). I live on Jacobson's point and talked to you earlier this Spring. I would like to talk to you off line if thats OK with you. What is your E-mail address?