• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My brother, I, and our dog will be up canoeing/camping around Trout Lake this weekend. It's our first time on the lake and in the area. Is it worth our time to fish for lake trout in August? We will have a Marcum fish finder. Otherwise, what other species should we pursue on Trout this time of year? Any advice much appreciated.

Trout lake is a beatiful lake. The lake is big, deep and clear making for some big fish but some really tough fishing. The lakers in the lake are tough to find. The small other lakes are find to explore too. Wish there was a better landing on the lake but the landing now keeps the lake pretty quite. Good luck fishing.

Thanks much, your insight is what I expected. Lakers are always such a challenge, perhaps that's why they fascinate me! Which of the smaller lakes do you recommend? Are there campsites on these lakes? (the map I found does not show any)

My family and I hit the Trout/Wabana/Bluewater chain about once a month in the summer. All of the lakes haver real good to excellent bass fishing for both species. I've heard that Big Trout is turning more into a walleye lake than a trout lake, but haven't called the DNR to confirm that. I've caught some real nice smallies on Big Trout this time of year suspended about 25' down over 50+ feet of water. I'm sure they're chasing ciscoes/tulibees. Pick a weedline and you should find plenty of panfish and they're really on the bite now. I've never tried walleyes out there, other than on Wabana, but they're there. Also some nice gators in the chain. It probably wouldn't hurt to go to the DNR website, click on lake finder, type in the names of the lakes and print off the lake maps as there's lots of structure. Bluewater might and I say might be easier for lakers. In my experience lakers around here are tough this time of year. Early spring and later fall are easier.

Brian

You mention that you catch smallies in suspended in 50' of water. How does one go about finding these fish? I fish a 180 acre clear, deep lake (65' max) in the area and the smallies are hard to find in the summer.

The one's I caught, I was actually using the smallest dipsey divers with 6' leader and golden shiner minnow on the hook looking for trout. You can imange my suprise when the rod bent over and I thought I had a laker or splake, only to see a "brown football" on the end of my line. We then trolled some deep diving cranks through the school and caught a few more. Vertical jigging spoons, spinner baits run real deep, or maybe even drop shotting but not letting the sinker hit the bottom should work, I would think.

Brian