• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lac qui Parle Goose hunting: newbie Q's

HuntFishDude

I've never done this hunt and quite frankly haven't done much goose hunting. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what they could tell me about it. Do you get a part of field as your station? Is there blinds there? Since I don't currently have a spread of dekes, I'd probably post for a guest here if I couldn't find anyone as I'm sure a full spread is needed? How about the best time to shoot for between Oct 18th and Nov 20. If you'd rather not post a response, feel free to email me...

Thanks!

there are three basic ways to hunt lqp. first is to register for drawing a state blind. these blinds are on the perimeter of the refuge. basically a pass shooting situation. second is private blinds on the refuge line, usually set up for pass shooting. some land owners do let you set up dekes as well, but there are sometimes many more than one or two blinds in each field. the third is to get out away from the refuge and hunt normal field hunts. this is what we do. typically you get some competition, but it all depends on the numbers of birds, as well as time of year. the thing about hunting the state or private blinds is, unless there is an influx of new birds, or really crappy weather keeping the birds low, they usually figure out real fast where the blinds are and literally will fly right around them. and you'll see lots of skyblasting due to that. call the refuge office, they are great guys willing to discuss many different topics related to the refuge.

HuntFishDude:

I'm just getting back into Goose hunting again this fall.

I got 3 to 4 doz geese deks between big foots and shells.

Also wouldn't mind a hunting partner. If your interested in doing some local south metro hunting, you can email me (in profile)

Of course i need to start hitting up some land owners for some places to hunt locally.

I used to go out to LQP area years back, but we hunted out of the boat and waders...and boy that was a blast.

I used to go out to Lac qui Parle and hunt the refuge blinds, used to go the last weekend of October and in the 3-4 years I went we managed to get zero geese. Like what was said above, unless you get really bad weather or new out of area geese, good luck. You only used to only get 6 shells per day per guys as well, so you had to use them right. Not sure if the 6 shell rule is still around or not. The place was well run and the blinds I was in over the years were pretty nice. I think your better option is to get out away from the refuge and hunt some farm land. One of the best things out there was in the morning when you were walking into the building for the blind draw you could hear the geese on the water and it was amazing to hear that many geese at once. They take a fair amount of geese out there every year, all you can do is try it.

My dad used to hunt the LQP refuge until he seen one guy just about shoot another guy over a goose. The first blind wounded the goose and it made it over near the second blind which also shot at it and recovered it when it was down. The guy from the first blind went over claiming it was his and someone started pointing their gun at the other one. This was quite a few years ago but seeing it happen once was enough for him to never go back.

You can go there and see 1000's of geese literally and 99.9% are out of shooting range. Not uncommon to see guys shooting at geese that are all over 110 yards in the air. (not joking) I went there last fall with a hunting partner and I will probably never go back.

110 yard i have seen them shoot at birds alot farther than that away! The only enjoyment i get out of going there is to watch the birds fly. a quality hunt it is not.

Best advise is to get away from the refuge and decoy hunt them. There are geese all over that area. I do have some great memories of hunting there in the early 1990's. My college friends and I would drive down there and hunt geese are LQP.

dont let the stories of skyblasting and inconsiderate hunters detract you from going out there and giving it a shot in the blinds. its a fun time, even if its just taking pictures of the birds, meeting other hunters, talking to the guys at the refuge station, etc. maybe if more guys who dont like the skybusters started to go down there instead of never going again, the blinds would be filled with hunters who take responsible and ethical shots.

Quote:

dont let the stories of skyblasting and inconsiderate hunters detract you from going out there and giving it a shot in the blinds. its a fun time, even if its just taking pictures of the birds, meeting other hunters, talking to the guys at the refuge station, etc. maybe if more guys who dont like the skybusters started to go down there instead of never going again, the blinds would be filled with hunters who take responsible and ethical shots.

Good point... But I think after you see the skybusting and the blinds right next to road its not the kind of hunting experience most of us are used to. I would much rather be on a small pond or lake with a real blind and decoys and see no geese at all, than being at Lac qui Parle with 100,000 geese. Just my thoughts though.

I wouldnt bother with a 2 goose limit. Waste of time, money and gas. Wow, but you can say you limited out.