Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IceAge@work

Coming Up 8/18 - Staying at Island View

6 posts in this topic

Had a couple of questions for the good people on the board. Taking our first family vacation to Rainy Lake.

I like reef fishing and intend to spend a fair amount of time hunting for walleyes on the deep structure. My line of thinking is that the reefs to the east will be less pressured. Really looking at making runs to the east of Brule Narrows. Good strategy or am I just wasting fuel?

Also have a 5 year old daughter I would like to get into some panfish action. I see Black Bay frequently mentioned as a good Crappie bay. Are the numerous cribs in that area worth a look this time of year? Are the Crappies a little more weed related? Or should I abandon the Crappie idea and just find a school of willing smallies?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Iceage,

Welcome to the board. You are correct in assuming that the reefs east of the Brule get less pressure that the ones west of the Brule. This is a solid strategy if you are looking to get on some hungry and willing walleyes. There's not much to it as I am sure you know. Just look at and work those electronics!

As far as the crappies go Black Bay rock piles are holding a few right now. The best way to find them is to troll some smaller 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs at slower speeds until you catch one. Then you can fish them casting smaller jigs or fish them with bobbers. There is also alot of structure in Sand Bay that is holding crappies right now, however it is a little harder to fish due to the fact that you will be vertical fishing them over 24-30 feet of water. The deeper points are where you will be finding them at.

Stop in and see me at One Stop for a little more information on where to go.

Take Care!

tearin' lips,

Thanks much for the quick response and great feedback. Will definately go to the One Stop to get my bait and see what's happening. Do you guys sell the Navigational Charts/Contour Maps with the good detail? I'm missing one for the east side and even though I have the chip I like these for planning and as a reference.

Thanks again

IceAge

Yes we do have a roll out map for the east end. It covers the shelland island area to kettle. It offers good details on the structure and whatnot...the only problem is that it is huge! But by far the best that we have.

Just wanted too contribute a quick trip report since I've gotten a lot of good info here.

Walleye fishing overall (one rough day) was pretty good. I ended up fishing some reefs & several points in the Fox Islands area most of the trip. Caught most of my fish in the 30-40 feet range using everything from jigs to lindy rigs to spinners w/bottom bouncers. The spinners did the trick for most of the fish over 20" with the biggest of the trip being 25". Crawlers were by far the most productive bait.

One comment on the reef fishing. I'm used to working the big expansive pieces of structure you see in LOTW & Mille Lacs. A lot of reefs and points on Rainy Lake seem to come out of nowhere from 70 or 80 feet of water and then disappear again. The drop-offs are often steep and the fish hug tight to them making boat control very important. Catching walleyes was a real challenge with the windy conditions last week. If you can find a small deep flat or shelf that is holding fish that place is so much easier to fish and golden in my book.

Spent a little time trolling wind blown shorelines and points for Northerns. Used Rapala Deep Taildancers and targeted the 30-40 feet again. Did catch one nice 36" fish but got no other bites. Several people at the resort seemed to be targeting the shallow weedy bays for Pike and from what I gathered got good action on fish in the 2-5 pound range.

Also spent 3 hours or so every moring going after smallies. The first two days of the trip (Sunday & Monday) were good with lots of fish caught pitching grubs up onto island shorelines and cut bays with deep water close by. After the thunderstorms and cold front moved through though the action slowed a lot. Caught way more hammer handle Northerns than smallies after that.

tearin' lips - Just wanted to say thanks for the previous help and encourage anyone heading up there to patronize your business. The live bait & tackle selection was great and really appreciated the close-by convenience for fuel, groceries and wine or a cold beverage. The laundromat even came in handy with all of us using our "cold weather gear" a little more than expected.

Rainy Lake is a beautiful place. Tough to beat the combination of good fishing, wild places and nice amenities. Will definately be back again.

IceAge

Thanks for the report. I'll be heading up to the east side on Thursday. It looks like the weather is going to cooperate for a change!

I'll be looking for walleyes, smallies and northerns. I've fished the area once before in mid-July and did well on some reefs for walleyes, so I think I'll start there. All the smallies I caught last July were very small. I didn't fish northerns last time, but we will spend time on them this trip.

Any thoughts by anyone who knows Rainy would be appreciated.

I stopped at the one stop for bait last year and will do the same this year.