• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How could you?( a dogs story)

2thepointsetters

I copied this from the pheasant country forums

How Could You?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copied from the Brittany-L listserver:

Please distribute this to everyone you know who loves dogs.

Love your dogs always...

HOW COULD YOU?

A man in Grand Rapids, Michigan incredibly took out a US $7,000 full page ad

in the paper to present the HOW COULD YOU?

By Jim Willis, 2001

How Could You?

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You

called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of

murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend.

Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?"

-- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were

terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of

nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and

I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream

(I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I

took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the

day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more

time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you

through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad

decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in

love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our

home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you

were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was

fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them,

too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my

time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love

them, but I became a prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and

pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated

my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and

their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've

defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and

listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the

sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you

produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me.

These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had

gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every

expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they

will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the

right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only

family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It

smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the

paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged

and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a

middle-aged dog, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed, "No,

Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what

lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and

responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely

refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and

now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably

knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me

another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules

allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago.

At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it

was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream...

or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of

happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and

waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and

I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet

room.

She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My

heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a

sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears

weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her

cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years

ago.

She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting

and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked

into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She

hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a

better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to

fend for myself --a place of love and light so very different from this

earthly place.

And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my

tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at

you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait

for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much

loyalty.

- ----------------------------

A Note from the Author:

- ----------------------------

If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to

mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions

of formerly "owned" pets who die each year in American and Canadian animal

shelters. Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial

purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice.

Please use it to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal

shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to

add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve

our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your

animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare

league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious.

Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay and neuter

campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals.

Jim Willis

(of a dog) He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come from encounters with the roughness of the world....When all other friends desert, he remains.

-George C. Vest

edited to protect me from looking an idiot__________________

FROM FIELD TO FAMILY, LAKE TO LAND

HUNTERS ROSE POINTING LABS

Quote:

IMO Any perspective dog owner should have some kind of background check on past pet ownership.

It should almost be like the adoption process!

Seriously?

A backround process for owning a dog? Dogs only? How about cats? How about Goldfish and Hermit Crabs? Horses? Where's the money coming from to do the backround check and what is the minimum standards to own one and how do you get to that level with no past history of ownership? Plus some people still view dogs as dogs and not "people"... Everyone's standards are different.

We don't have any requirements in place for people having kids and yet we think it's a good idea for pets? Sorry I can't go there...

Good Luck!

Ken

We don't have any requirements in place for people having kids and yet we think it's a good idea for pets? Sorry I can't go there..

Labs Way too funny, Yet so very true.

Why does this get re-posted every year? Seems a little suspicious. Especially now when the nanny state is about to ban 7 breeds and impose several stringent laws on breeding rights overall. Hmmm.... PeTa or HS ???

CW

Labs, can my kids get granfathered in for the hermit crab thing or do I have to take them to to the courthouse for fingerprinting, DNA sample, retnel scan, credit check, and voice analysis?

I find it interesting that some people/groups think they can tell me how to treat my dogs. What made those people/groups so dang special? That's all we need, more government involvement in our lives.(That was sarcasm)

This may offend some people but hey, it's the way it is. I have 2 dogs. They are dogs. Sure, they are nice dogs. They are good dogs. I like them. They like me. Bottom line, however, is they are dogs. Out here in the country we do things differently.

I think you guys are getting off track...I liked the post, kind of sad to me, brings back sad memories of all those family dogs we had to put down when they got too old and gimpy. I remember them all. It makes me excited to be a dog owner again soon.

If anything I hope the post is just a reminder of how loving dogs are and how important they are to a family. The background check commentary isn't literal. Kind of like when you see some people and say "they shouldn't be allowed to have kids." There are some people like that but they won't ever be catalyst for legislation that limits who can reproduce.

Nice story.

As most of you know I lost Boomer about a month ago and stories like this make me sad.

It reminds me on how Boomer (yellow lab) took a big backseat when we had the boys. It still tears me up a little but I do think he understood. he was a very smart dog.

I agree, great story, was a little hard to read. Wish I could leave work right now and go play fetch. cool.gif

2thepoint:

Let me guess....you read this story and thought it was nice so you decided to share it. Bet you didn't think you were going to get bashed. Thanks for the story.

I don't see any post bashing 2thepoint about the story...

I posted the backround check for owning a dog is a little out there.

The story is a little out there too. It's a great read to make people think about taking on the responsibility of owning a pet, but I think the author is trying too hard to elevate dogs to a "people" level.

Good Luck!

Ken

Lab --

Very true.

A dog is a dog and people are people, but many dogs are better than many people.

Just a thought.

Quote:

but many dogs are better than many people.

Perfect!!!

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree with hitman. Some dogs are better than some people. And Labs, you may not intended to bash, but it sure sounds like it. 2the point was just sharing a story with us and mentioned at the end that people should get a background check to be able to have a dog. I don't believe it should have been taking literally, he was just sharing his frustration with how some people treat their pets. My 2 cents anyway. I will admit it's hard to tell what someones intentions and emotions are just from reading something. even with the smileys it's still hard to truly feel the true intent of the writer. Unless you're a professional writer. smile.gif

Quote:

2thepoint:

Let me guess....you read this story and thought it was nice so you decided to share it. Bet you didn't think you were going to get bashed. Thanks for the story.

Haha... blush.gif I didn't write the last part on dog ownership background check. That was on the phesant country forum when I copied it and I didn't even read the stuff at the bottom. I guess I should always read all the way down. now everyone can just think I am insane. I will post the link to the orginal post if anyone wants it. (I just thought it was very interesting to read) I already know how much my dogs appreciate me and how much I appreciate them. cool.gif

I am still laughing now. I think my face turned pretty red after I figured it out.

[Note from Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again] - no links

I'm sorry I was wrong not Peta or HS. Jim Willis is or was the program director for International Society for Animal Rights. ISAR has recently taken over the Institute for Animal Rights Law which is a leading legal action program for mandatory spay and neuter laws and Vet malpractice lawsuits.(Hows that for a background check) So although it seems like a heartfelt story of a dog, it does contain a very apparent agenda.

CW

Quote:

Quote:

Seriously?

A backround process for owning a dog? Dogs only? How about cats? How about Goldfish and Hermit Crabs? Horses? Where's the money coming from to do the backround check and what is the minimum standards to own one and how do you get to that level with no past history of ownership? Plus some people still view dogs as dogs and not "people"... Everyone's standards are different.

We don't have any requirements in place for people having kids and yet we think it's a good idea for pets? Sorry I can't go there...

Good Luck!

Ken

labs4me,

Glad you could read the last line, but how about trying to read the first? "I copied this from the pheasant country forumns" Also, this was MEANT to be a story about a dog, not just someone's comment to get all worked up about.

2thepoint:

You cut and pasted an obvious animal rights piece on a hunting site without reading into what you were posting! Now you go after Ken for expressing his opinion on it? Thats Classic. wink.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

CW

Here is the thing with this post. I think the main point of the post, is that people need to understand that having a dog has certain responsibility and that you shouldn't get one without being ready to undertake that responsibility. Not many people dislike animal rights whackos more than I do, but frankly I agree with the original thread (except for the background check garbage). Pets are great and they provide us unconditional love, I think we owe it to them to be good to them...

2thepoint... I read the 1st line... I couldn't tell where your 'cut and copy' started and where it ended... the story was fine. I've read it often in forwarded e-mails. It's a little (a lot) overboard in the amount of reasoning a dog can do, but it does set the stage to think twice about the responsibility of owning a pet (as I pointed out in my earlier post).

It was the last statement that I couldn't even begin to fathom. I don't feel I need to defend myself. That was a whacko statement made by someone elevating a dog above a human. Lawdog said it right in one post... it took me a couple to say the exact same thing! and Thanks CW642 for pointing out the who the author is... I've recieved it a couple times over the last year... I wondered what the 'reason' for the story was, I think it's apperant.

Have a great day 2thepoint! Again, I was not bashing you for posting the story, but only pointing out the last statement made was way out there... Hope I didn't rile your feathers too much seeing it wasn't your statement! (handshake here)

Good Luck!

Ken

I think lawdog has it right, getting a dog is a 10-15 year committment and people better realize that. A puppy is eventually going to grow up. You see dogs chained to a tree, they never leave their chain, with crap all around, and you wonder why did they get a dog?

Reading this post got me thinking though. Last night I spent a few extra minutes with my dogs, sitting in the shade, scratching their bellies and ears. They loved it. Thats what I like about dogs, they're ALWAYS happy to see you!!!

Labs4me,

Thanks, I am laughing again and returning the handshake. Its funny how out of context something can get. Have a good one.

Chris

I totally agree that dogs are dogs and people are people. But many on here would agree with the following statement: I would rather spend time with a dog rather than with certain people. A dog is the only animal on earth that loves you before he loves himself. Think about this: When you're going hunting, how often does the dog(s) stay home? Dogs are a big part of our lives, no matter how much, or little, they mean to you. And yes, they are a huge commitment. Do people need a background check to own one? No, but there are people like Micheal Vick that shouldn't own one. If dogs didn't have such an influence in our lives, would this forum even exist?

Johnny --

Well said.

I am a professional writer and a horrible speller. Even pros can have people miss the point.

Something to think about.

Hit

This forum and most bird dog forums like this are that small slice of the pie with owners that are involved with their animals. I really think that most of the people that post here spend at least 5-10 hrs a week with their dogs. By that I don't mean feeding, watering, and cleaning kennels. I mean actual quality time with the dog working on training, going fishing, or even watching TV on the couch. Some of us look at dogs as a refined hunting tool, and some think of a dog as a member of the family. Their is even a few that look at dogs as both. With that in mind this is a small obsessed section of the dog world. Personally I would probably never have owned any dogs if it wasn't for hunting. I do like spending time with my dogs rather than certain people, but I would also rather clean my septic tanks with my toothbrush than spend time with some people.

To be honest a dog does not love you first. It is a trained response and it starts at the breeders with a lot of socialization and contact. A dog naturally wants to please itself first. This is why we train them with praise and physical attention, so that they become programed to know if they please you they get something they want. Any untrained canine such as a wolf and coyote will show you no affection.

As for me I look at my dogs as first a hunting tool, then as a good buddy, but their still just dogs. But if you ask my three year old he couldn't care less about if they hunt, and he sees them as his best friends.

CW

WOW.

You guys need to look at your own avitars. Most of you have a picture of YOUR DOG. And yet it's "just a dog" How many of you have kids and a wife? Why not use a picture of them?

And for you cw642, a dog loves you and thinks of you as a member of it's pack. Yea I said "IT'S PACK" As for a dog wanting to please it's self first is not true. They want to please you and they do this by running though the swamps after you kill a bird. Why do you run out there and get it yourself?

I have 3 dogs none of them are hunting dogs. They are part of my life. Ever day I'm met at the door by them, there are happy to see me. No matter what kind of mood I'm in they don't care, they still love me and want to make me happy. They are inside dogs and very much part of my family. They are my best friends and I know they would give they're lives for me in an instant. How many friends do you have that would do that? I'd say none.

Yea I have read "How Could You?" before, I read it again tho. Call me what ya will but another one of the unaddressed problems this country has. It always makes me angry when you see dogs tied up, or living in the hot sun with little shade no cold water or be in the freezing cold with no blanket, and an ice cube to lick when the owner is gone 9-10 hours aday, how does this dog actually want to get all wet at daybreak for his jerk owner? I guess i will never know. I have 2 inside dogs, Boston Terrier and Pug, they chase rabbits, birds and squirels, they are part of our family, my kids would be devasted if anything happened to them, Someday we will be sad when they die, but death is part of life right? I mean we used to just take em out and shoot em when they got old right?

Semi related note:

First I pray for healing for the loss to this boys family.

Pitbull attack yesterday CHAINED PITBULL TEARS 7 YEAR OLD BOYS THROAT OUT poor 7 year old boy killed by his grandfathers pitpull before the dad could shoot it dead in the basement of a house in Minneapolis yesterday. Real good idea to keep them tied up on short leashes.

Frog, the pack idea is correct. The pleasing itself issue is easy to explain, even to a pet owner. When a pup is first born he doesn't understand that you are different than him. Therefore the theory of the pack is true. Thru proper socialization and positive physical contact they learn that we can cause them pleasure. This behavior is instilled in them at a young age before a owner ever sees the pup. It is the main job of the breeder after whelping the pups. An unsocialized pup will not show any "love" because it was not given the attention in the first 4-6 weeks. Most people don't realize this factor and therefore the theory of pleasing you comes into play. It is all about action and reaction. That is how a dog learns. Even in basic yard training every action has a reaction. You say sit push his rear down, and give him a pat on the head. After some time you say sit, he puts his rear down, you pat him on the head. At the same time if you say sit, he stays standing, you give the leash a tug, this gives him displeasure and he sits. Action, reaction.

To relate that to a bird dog everything that a dog does is for itself. It is breed into it's gene's to seek game. That is natural instinct, but that is where it ends. A dog if not trained would after finding game sit down and have itself a meal. That hunt for food is also its instinct, and that is where training and breeding come into play. Without those the dog would be no different than the wolf or coyote, hunt find eat. Man has trained it to do as we wish, and to think that it wants to give you a hunk of food it just reteived is obserd. Sure it would have swam out to get the food and bring it to shore but it was trained to drop it in your hand rather than eat it. A young pointer will point for a short time, but then will attempt to catch the bird. That is what he wants. Training teaches them to continue pointing untill we release them. They don't want to, but man has taught them to do as we wish.

CW

Quote:

Man has done no more than correct the dog's instinctive style of hunting, molding it to the convenience of collaberation.

Jose Ortega y Gasset,

Meditatations on Hunting

This little quote I think fairly nails the reason they hunt for us on the head. They want to hunt because it's bred into their blood, we molded them into doing it for us.

CW has fairly well nailed it on the head. While dogs look at us as a member of their family, it is not a true 'love' emotion they are illiceting. I am fairly confident they are not capable of such emotions. That does not mean that there is not a bond (even a strong one) or that they are not fiercly loyal, but in the end they are happy to see you because you are the provider. You feed them, you let them out to run, they get 'em a milk bone and you scratch their belly... all things they want! They are excited to see you because they are going to get what "they" want. I agree that 90% of what makes up a dog is done so through positive / negative influences. Things that are positve make them 'happy', things that are negative make them not so happy.

The laying down their lfe for you is simply the act of defending members of the pack. It is a reaction to defend, not solely for you. but for them also. When they sense danger and fear and go into fight mode, it isn't a thought out decision to jump in front of a bullet for you but to stand up and take on the danger in an effort to save themselves and other members of the 'pack'.

If they could truley have a love emotion, wild dog species would never cast out members of their own litters to fend for themselves once they are brought to adulthood. They would continue to nurture them and help them through any tough times in order to succeed. Nature has developed them this way on purpose. Many times you will be killed by your parents if you try to come back into the pack... especially as a male.

Which brings me to a quote I learned from a well respected field trialer in 1990... I'll change the explitives to clean it up.

Quote:

They're dogs..... they eat crap and breed their mothers!

Ray Vreeland

I guess in the end, I can say this of everyone on this forum... We all love our dogs! Everyone to a different level. Some will elevate them to being an equal member to any other in their family, some love them solely as an efficient tool used for hunting on a par equal to a cowboy and his horse. I too love my dogs, I dread the day each and everyone leaves my side. I've cried worse than a baby several times I've had to say goodbye. I love the 'hunt' with a well trained dog, I love the spirit each one holds in them and the way they exude that spirit when they go about their work. But in the end, to me they are still 'just' a dog. An animal, but one I have forged a bond with to enjoy time spent together, doing something we are both passionate about.

Quote:

Just because man no longer understands his place in the universe, don't let him assume all of God's creatures have become qually confused and trivial.

Bill Tarrant,

Hey Pup, Fetch it up!

Quote:

We never really own a dog as much as he owns us.

Gene Hill,

Brown Dog, Tears and Laughter

Good Luck!

Ken