• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

King Sized Kats (6 pics)

What a day! I’ll elaborate more tomorrow when I have time and let crazyice fill in some of the blanks.

A couple in the low 20"s fish to start the morning.

ty_cat3.jpg

andy_cat4.jpg

Biggest of the day thus far

andy_cat6.jpg

Then it happened!

cats1.jpg

Then this! 28” 9lbs 11oz (My largest of the season)

ty_cat4.jpg

Then an identical fish landed 20 mins later – 28” 9lbs 11oz

andy_cat2.jpg

At least 12 cats made it to the boat this morning along with 1 perch, 1 bullhead, and 1 bluegill. My best channel cat outing of my life thus far!

Nice work guys, looks like a great time. Next time I'll have to try and tag along!

Wow!!! Way to go you guys! A definate tip of the hat to both of ya.

I knew it was gonna be a good one after the text I got this morning. UPGRADE laugh.gif

Yeah! What a morning!

We started out getting up around 2:30 and checked the weather situation out, things looked good we headed out. I think we hit the water around 4 or so, I didn't look at the time. The last time that Tyler and I fished this soon after a storm like the one that went through last night we pretty much got skunked. So expectations were a little mixed to say the least. We had no idea that we were about to get started on out best cattin' day to date!

We set up on our first spot, and it took a little while to get hooked up. Numerous misses and bait changes took place. I honestly don't remember what that first fish came on, either cut bait or liver, doesn't matter really though, we caught fish on both this morning. The first one ifin I am remembering right was around that 24" mark. We stuck it out at this spot for maybe an hour and a half or little longer and decided to move to another spot where we have had some luck.

After getting set up on our second spot it didn't take all that long to be in the fish, again more "decent" fish, like 20-25" and just plain fun to catch. But again numerous misses and then just nothing. So knowing that our time was limited this morning, we decided that a change in venue was again needed.

We decided to try something different, by different I mean a spot that we had never fished for cats before, but had the tell tale signs that we had found in our other tried and true spots. It didn't take long to get some action in this spot, Tyler hooked into a perch right off the bat, not what we were looking for but fish none the less. We were mainly casting into shallower water and not a whole lot was happening, so I decided to throw off the other side of the boat and into the deeper water. I flung it out and was in the process of putting my rod in the holder and I noticed that the rod tip was bouncing. I didn't even have my clicker engaged yet, so I quickly engaged it to see what would happen. Well as soon as I set it, the line instantly began to peel out! FISH ON! I grabbed the rod and disengaged the clicker and gave it a gentle pull, this was on a 6/0 circle hook. There was instant resistance! This fish ended up being the biggest of the morning SO FAR. It was right around 8lbs. But the really cool thing, this ended up being our first double of cat fishing! Tyler's clicker began to sound it's sweet music while we were landing my fish, so we quickly got mine in and Ty made like a banchee for his and quickly set his hook into a 20" fish.

Soon after this we decided to change things up a little, well just tyler atleast. We had brought out ice rods to try to do some jigging for these whiskered friends of ours. So Tyler plops his marcum off the side and procedes to jig fish with a jigging spoon near the bottom. After maybe five minutes of that I hear him go "Oh yeah baby!!" Another fish on! This was on a medium light St. Croix with 4lb test line. After 10 minutes and numerous fiascoes like line wrapped around the anchor rope, near the prop of the motor, and my line getting tangled with the front anchor rope, we did finally manage to land it. Just over 28" and 9lb 11oz!!!! What an awesome time that was! But then it was my turn again. After getting resituated with the anchors, I tossed mine out into the deep water again. Not too long after that I heard the unmistakeable zip of the clicker, I turn to look at it and I saw the tip bounce again. After a quick hook set and a great battle, another 28" 9lb 11oz fish!!

Well it turned out that was our last fish for the day, and we had already stayed past the time that we had decided on so that concluded the day for us. But all in all, 12 fish, 4 of which were over 8lbs. And probably another 12-15 missed fish. For those of you that think that catfishing is taboo, do yourself a favor and give it a try! It is a BLAST! Where else can you just sit back and not do any casting and retrieving, or constantly watch a bobber. It totally frees you up to just have a good time, just waiting for that lovely sound of whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Wow, I didn't realize how long that post was! Sorry for those of you who find it boring! grin.gif

Quote:

For those of you that think that catfishing is taboo, do yourself a favor and give it a try! It is a BLAST! Where else can you just sit back and not do any casting and retrieving, or constantly watch a bobber. It totally frees you up to just have a good time, just waiting for that lovely sound of whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Catfishing is the 2nd or 3rd most popular kind of fishing in the entire country. Not sure why most Minnesotans are against it, but oh well, if they want to fish walleyes, let 'em fish walleyes. Can you believe Bass is the most popular? What's wrong with folks? grin.gif

Sounds like a great morning guys!

Hanson, I would love to get out with you sometime flathead fishing! I don't know if you remember meeting me that day you were down sucker fishing with Thiem. But that flat fishing sounds like a blast. Actually I have fished just never caught one.

Quote:

Hanson, I would love to get out with you sometime flathead fishing! I don't know if you remember meeting me that day you were down sucker fishing with Thiem. But that flat fishing sounds like a blast. Actually I have fished just never caught one.

I remember you, actually just put the connection together again from the photos above. Suckers... there's another super fun fish to fish for!!

We could probably figure something out for flathead fishing, flathead catching on the other hand might be a tad bit difficult. I've been off the river down here for a week, I feel lost again. smile.gif

Quote:

flathead catching on the other hand might be a tad bit difficult.

Ummmm, ya think? shocked.gif

Quote:

ty_cat4.jpg

Yeah, notice the position of the anchor. That was a very close call. The big guy was making carp-like runs, but then again I guess you don't have much leverage when your fishing like this...

ty_ice_rod.jpg

Each of the larger fish that were caught today caused some sort of chaos in the boat this morning. Anchor ropes, motor, open tackle boxes, clicker scream as I’m netting another. I guess I’m just glad we didn’t spill the chicken liver in the boat again, but twice my soda went over. Also had a major bite/run as I was taking a loop out of my line (caught it too).

It really helped to stay organized and prepared this morning. We always have the net ready, the tape measure and scale handy and I have several hook removal tools scatter throughout the boat for easy access no matter where you’re at. A light duty jaw spreader is sometimes necessary. The camera is always out and ready to roll with a click of the power button. Everything has a place in the boat and being organized like this helps get the fish returned to the water as quickly as possible. All these cats we catch are still swimming and healthy.

hey not sure if it is a secret or not and not looking for GPS Coordinates but where (body of water) were you guys. Nice fish and yes very good times.

ike

"Yeah, notice the position of the anchor. That was a very close call. The big guy was making carp-like runs, but then again I guess you don't have much leverage when your fishing like this..."

Wow! Are you that excited for ice fishing that you had to use your ice rod? HAHA It won't be long and you can use it for real.

PS...Very nice fish. I am jealous to say the least. smile.gif

Quote:

Lake Zumbro? You run into that state record channel cat out there?
grin.gif

We didn't feel the need to post the picture since everyone has seen her already!! What a hog! She sure is a beaut! wink.gif

In all seriousness though, I think that if one put in enough time, I am sure there are some 20lb fish in there somewhere, just need to find where those bruisers hang out. Tyler and I tossed around a few ideas, and maybe we will have to give them a try this year, or next if we run out of time. But we probably have a few tricks up our sleeves for the ice season, so we will see what pans out.

Nice fish!

I still haven't topped my 25" from Chester early this spring. Maybe i'll hit Zumbro Friday night or early saturday.

I'd love to find a 30" channel this summer.

Tyler,

You mentioned liver in your post.....which is what I usually use. Chicken liver is what I usually use but it seems like half of the liver is really stringy and doesnt hold up very good.......I wonder if anyone has ever tried beef liver and if that would be as effective. I have a feeling it would hold better.

Never tried the beef liver, but it might be worth a shot. After handling the chicken liver often you find that there are ways to hook it where it stays on the hook quite well. The whitish fatty tissues (tendons or ligaments) are much tougher than that actual meat portion of the liver. If pass your hook multiple times through those tougher tissues, it might hold better for ya.

The size of the liver chunk in relation to the hook is also a concern if you start missing fish.

Nice cats! Do you get the liver at tackle shops or from a butcher shop. I suppose it would be cheaper at a butcher shop. Have you ever had much luck on cut bait or stink baits (dip worms)? Also, what depth do you normally fish at? Sorry if I sound kinda nosy. crazy.gif My brother and I are thinking about going after cats for next week's trip. It sounds a lot like carping; I know that sure is fun. smile.gif

You can find the chicken liver at any grocery store. Look in the meat department around the poultry. It is usually pretty cheap, I think for this last outing that Tyler and I went on I paid like $1.50 for a little over a pound or something like that. As far as the depth thing, we have caught them at all depths, anything from 3 fow to 25. Just gotta keep trying different things and find something that will work for you. Good luck!