• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Not seeing many deer?

Dahitman44

I have set my camera up in what I would have thought was a prime location. Zero hunting pressure over the past few years.

I had it in two places and a total of four pics in 2.5 weeks and just one small fawn. I have put food blocks and salt blocks just to see what is out there and nothing.

Acouple of factors I was thinking about. The people that live there got a dog last year and he rooms in the woods. i don;t know if he chases deer, but I know he is in there Also, there is a ton of corn that comes right up to the woods. It also has bean very close to the corn. It alkso borders a hay field on the other side.

Is it possible that they are just not going through the woods as much?

The owners of the property said they saw a TON of deer a couple of years ago, but was less this past year or so.

What do you guys think.

I see a bunch of main -- almost cattle trails in the woods, but no pics.

I amusing an infared camera so that shouldn't throw them off.

Any thoughts?

Ya the deer population has taken a BIG drop,I'm south of you.In the last 2-3 years we arent seeing deer around our home,before that Does and their fawns all summer,we'd see deer every day,at times in the evening up to 11-12 a night now were lucky to see one a week! I think all the permits the last few years droped the population TOO much!! frown.gif Wrong town Hawick is what I thought it was??>?

I wonder if a dog in the woods can make that big of a difference?

I dont know what kind of deer population you had last year. I would guess one big factor would be the standing corn and hay field not even counting maybe a new dog in the area.

You may just need to find thier travel route and if you have a water hole near, that may be the area to start. I know this fall I will be working food sources and water holes with the low water levels.

Just a thought.

Good points.

Thanks to the water idea.

I can't help but think dogs will mess them up.

Anyone else?

It depends on the population....ie. a few deer probably will be bothered by a dog, lots of deer probably aren't going to be bothered that much. Since I live in the city now, I have to rely on what it was like over in MI for this example, but my parents back yard is full of deer and they have a dog that roams freely. If there is a large herd, I would think they would care less about the dog and go to the food source regardless. With a smaller population they can move on and find a new source.

Just my $.02

I'd say look for the water this year, find water in most areas and you'll find the deer. The dog might definately have an effect especially if he is running wild through the woods. I had a great spot ruined for a year or so after a house was built and the guy moved in with sled dogs. They would bark everytime I tried to get to my stand and they would bark everytime a car came by and they would bark when he came home and they would bark when the cyotes would howl and they would bark when the fire siren would sound.........well, you get the idea but after a couple of years the deer still moved through the same area but just at a bit of a distance from the kennel. If the dog runs wild, well, that could be an issue but I'd bet the water in the area is scarce and they have moved to the local watering hole. Find some mast nearby a local water source and set up your camera and you should be in! My .02. Good luck out there.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

I agree with harvey on this one, if there is alot of standing corn in the area that gives the deer plenty of cover for bedding and feeding, plus prvide plenty of shade. I would also try to find water and hunt near that, with the hot weather this year the deer have to drink water at some point in the day and that may be your best opportuntity for a good shot when their guard is down and they are drinking.

Very good points, guys.

thanks

Do you think the woods will get better when the corn in down? It is just strange not to have pics on such main trails.

I have seen deer hiding in the beans as well this year.

The area that I hunt every year is full of deer once the corn is harvested. Before that, I see way less deer in the woods. That corn is good cover and many dont need to leave it except to water.

I have the same problem with dogs hunting in somewhat of a "rural residential" area. People let their dogs run free in the country. I see tons of dogs every bowhunting season, retrievers, spaniels, pointers, rotweilers, etc. - all with collars on. Here's a thought. Tie your dog up or get an electronic fence or whatever but just because he's a farm dog doesn't mean I want him circling my stand. They're usually not too much of a nuisance thought and I bring rocks to throw at them to my stand. It's funny watching them get thunked with one trying to figure out where the heck the rocks are coming from. And before PETA jumps on me, I'm talking small rocks that bounce off their butts.

I second the water idea. If you can't find a natural source, make one for them. I need to get over to the Home depot to buy a small fish pond liner that I am going to put in here yet this month. It is so dry around here with no real water sources offering good cover. So I am going to make my own and see what happens.

chuck --

cool idea. You should post some pics and see how it works.

I will Hitman. I need to get over there and get an el cheapo one of any sort before they're gone for the summer. I know this tactic will work on feral cats as they have been drinking out of my bird bath all summer. grin.gif

But in all seriousness, I don't have the terrain for much of a food plot so I figured a mineral site next to a small pond might be my best option in attracting more deer. I'm just worried about the mosquitoes a liddle puddle pond might bring. tongue.gif

I wonder if there is something you could put in there to keep the water moving. Minnow bucket bubbler? Or a rubber ducky? wink.gif

I would have to say the dog is not a good deal... certainly not helping!!

There are probably deer in the corn, but they dont stay in there forever! This time of year the deer dont move much, a big buck can live the summer on 40 acres or so. If your not on the "X" you prob wont get a lot of pics until the crops come out, and more deer move in. A water source would be key to find the deer that are there, but I wouldnt expect to see a lot right now. My pics increase 200% in early October when bucks are in hard horn and wandering around a bit more. Keep at it, they'll show up wink.gif

I'm with everyone else on the deer in the corn. I hunted cropland a lot before moving into the big woods, mostly with standing sunflowers but corn, too, and almost all the deer I've seen in those situations during early bow season loaf in the corn/flowers all day and move toward water sources late in the day.

I also agree with shiner about the dog. A pack of dogs would be another matter.

I don't. Not unless it was chasing deer pretty much every day in the very small area in question.

Yeah -- the woods is about 75 acres -- kind of a rectangular shape.

I'd take a walk around the edge of the cornfield, look for trails in and out and set up a camera on them. That should give you an idea of whats around the area. If there's some water in the corn field they may not even be leaving at all, then you'll have to wait until after harvest.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the camera up for three weeks in this location ande still have not seen much for deer. Two fawns and a doe.

The corn is still up so I don;t know if that is hurting it or not.

Any thoughts? Should I be worried that I am not seeing any deer?

BTW -- my other hunting spot I have seen deer on that camera. But the year before I did not.

Anyone have a thought or two?

thanks

The area that I have not seen many deer went from 5 deer (bonus tags) to just one total deer. Would that make a difference too? Over harvesting?

Probably you jerk, you've been shooting too many deer. Save some for the rest of us. LOL. JK. But honestly, I would bet it might. Three years ago when we were managed, I'd see a dozen does wandering by at once. Now one or two. I think the numbers have to simply recover in many instances.

Chucky --

You might be right.

Do you think we will see more movement through the woods when the corn gets cut?

Probably. We have corn now where there was once alfalfa for the past several years. I actually see it as a blessing. Somewhat less sightings for me in daylight than last year but the corn is holding them here and once it is gone, they have nowhere to go but the woods and sloughs I can hunt.

You might want to find a trail from the corn to a watering hole. They need to get to water daily and have to be leaving the corn somewhere. I would try another trail and see whats there.

It might be worth a try for a few days with the trail camera. Cant hurt.

And if you can't find a water source, nearby, try and make one cheaply and easily if you can. My manmade waterhole - a twenty gallon rubber livestock dish sunk partially into the ground - is getting some action but I'd like to see more. I need to get the trail cam out again as I only left it out for 5 days before pulling the last time to coincide with my visits to my hunting area.

baby409.jpg