Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Questor

Tried new bobber stop

5 posts in this topic

I tried the rubber bobber stops that are attached to fine wire loops. Seemed like a good idea, but it really wasn't. I couldn't cast at all with that type of bobber stop on my line. Gave them a fair trial. Still haven't found anything better than the waxed string type that you knot to your line.

Quote:

Still haven't found anything better than the waxed string type that you knot to your line.

That's the easiest kind I use and probably will never switch to anything else. Slide the slipknot on, cinch it down, clip the ends, done. It really can't get much easier.

You can tie them on directly on to your line with a slightly larger mono, or the same type line as pre-packaged ones. Just like a sort of fisherman's knot but without going through any eyelets. Pretty easy and quick, but you still need a bead so just as easy to use the pre-packaged... but if you ever have a knot that lost its ability to grip the line, it is easy to re-tie without taking everything off.

Here's my take on the bobber stops.

1) If you leave a little tag on the knot, you can retighen them.

2) Most likely, your knot will outlast the last few feet of your line, so when your replacing/removing the damaged line, replace the knot. It's quick and simple.

3) Given the fact they are about 1/4 the price of the live bait on the end of your hook, and last many, many times longer, the cost really isn't an issue.

On a side note, if your having problems with the line cutting your slip bobber, glue a small glass bead to the top of it.

I slip bobber a lot and that stop was always an issue. OF the two, I actually liked the rubber ones better but the do wear out. The ties damage the line too much (mono) if you don't wet them before you move them. Two seasons ago I switched to hi-vis power pro. I LOVE it for slip bobbers. The hi-vis allows me to know exactly how much bow is in the line before setting the hook. The line slips through the slip bobber much easier then mono. I also get a much better hook set in deeper water with it. I use a 2 ft flouro leader with a barrel swivel that acts as a stop going the other way. I will never go back to mono. The rubber stop does NOT work with super lines but the ties work great. The super line does not get damaged in any way from moving the stop up and down your line. The stuff lasts forever.