Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MN Shutterbug

bass and sunnies south of Alex.

11 posts in this topic

Now that it looks like it's finally going to cool off a bit, I'm ready to launch the boat again. I normally fish Spring Lake, about 15 miles north of Alex,but it's 130 miles one way from me. I can't find anyone to bring along this week. Can anyone recommend a decent bass and panfish lake south of Alex? Even if it's only 25 or 30 miles closer, it all helps. Also, I prefer small lakes. I have a 15 foot boat with a 25 hp motor, but that's not the issue. It just takes too danged long to figure out a larger lake.

Thanks

There are a number of good ones in the Sauk Centre area.

I would start with Big Sauk, then there is Fairy, Little Sauk can be good this time of year.

There has been a good bite on Cedar by Long Praire.

Sifty

You could try some of the Willmar Area lakes...might be a good question to post in that regional forum since it'd be about an hour closer for you coming from the SW. Green's a great 'go - to' for the pig smallmouth, but the sheer size / wind potential may not make it the most logical choice for you. Nest (between New London and Spicer) w/ some options for wind-protection AND big pig bass this time of year may be a better option. I'd definitely throw your inquiry out to the "Willmar-Spicer Area" forum, plenty of options for what you're looking for and closer than the Alex. area...

Nest lake doesn't sound too desirable at this time. I read where there are maybe thousands of dead crappies lying on shore. I also see that this lake get real bad with algae bloom in late summer. The algae bloom is one of the reasons I don't fish around Marshall anymore. It's also why I like the Alex area lakes. Most of them are clean and clear. Green lake is very tempting. If I could find someone to fish the lake with that knew their way around, I'd be happy to give it a shot.

Thanks for the advice though.

Minnewaska's not really a small lake, but it's 30 miles closer for you & certainly about as good of a panfish & bass lake as you'll find.

My main problem with large lakes is I have no idea where to start fishing.If the lake is only a few hundred acres, I can cover the whole lake in a couple hours or so. Minnewaska, on the other hand, would probably take me years to figure out. BTW, it's actually about 40 miles closer.

We were in the Villard area last week, and had decent luck for crappies and sunnies on Leven. Fished just outside the weedline for sunnies during the day, and early morning and late evening for the crappies. Didn't fish for bass, but there were some other Iowans there that were catching a few. Lake is low, and tought to put a boat in, but with a smaller boat and motor it's doable. Watched a guy spend about 20 minutes trying to load his big Warrior one nite, but didn't have too much trouble with my 16' Lund/25 hp motor. Had to do quite a bit of sorting, but caught a lot of decent fish amongst the small ones.

I would suggest Camp Lake, which is NE of Benson near the little town of Swift Falls. It's a small lake, pretty well protected from wind and has a good bass and sunfish population.

I agree with scott.. Great little lake to fish!!

Unfortunately, the bluegill size is small. The largest one caught during the test trapping in 04 was just 7 1/2". That's about the smallest I like to keep. I know, I'm a bit picky. I love to fish bass for the excitement but I also like to bring home some sunnies for the pan.

From what I've experienced on Minnewaska, you don't have to know much about it to catch bass & sunfish if you use leeches or crawlers. You run into them on any point, bar, or weedline. The size certainly may very from one spot to another, but they're everywhere.