Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wazz

Rock Bass?

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever eaten these things? It seems like thats all you catch some days, pretty good size to some of them.

I thought if they were good, that would be one way to get them out of the lakes??

Wazz grin.gif

they have worms... no thanks

mmmmm rock bass

They arent bad early in the year. When breezy use to have red eye days they filleted 100's and fried them up. There like bullheads, why keep em when you can get sunnies crappies or bass, or even a slimer.

I was crappie fishing on Gull a few springs ago and decided to keep a few rock bass. I filleted them up and ate them with the crappies. I couldn't tell which fillets were crappies and which were the rockies. I wouldn't hesitate to eat them again. Good stuff!

Aaron

I concur, we regularly eat them and all four of my kids are just fine.

BHS

Quote:

they have worms... no thanks

All panfish have worms... escpecially perch, but they taste the best

bhs91, You also eat raccoon, skunk and any road kill you can get your hands on...

Eat 'em? One too many.

Only caught two fish (both rockies) after a few days of fishing, against my better judgment, kept and ate per wife's desire.

Felt sick to my stomach a few days later, on way home, reading that state record was 2-lbs, 0-oz. Larger of the two weighed in at 2-lbs 0-oz on electronic scale. Wife is now "ex'.

Although I'm not from Minnesota, I live in Illinois, we have always ate rockbass , thought everybody did. Kinda interesting how a certain species of fish is thought of depending on where your're from. We just love Minnesota my wife and I are planning to relocate there when our daughter is out of school, if not before.

No one ever thinks they could have just caught a record Rock bass, but my cousin that did the same thing. He caught it measured it and thought, wow, that was pretty big as he through it back. He found out later that it most likely put him in the record book.

Forget the walleye, muskie, and smallmouth records, I'm going for Rock Bass and bullheads from here on out.

You guys get off the rock bass. If you want to catch good eating fish. Go catch some sunfish. They are easy to catch. Find a weed edge with small leeches under a bobber, You will catch all you want. Weed through them and keep the size that you can clean. They are better than walleyes. Rock bass are fine to eat but some may be wormy. You will rave about sunnies.

I believe that the record bullhead and rockbass were both taken from the same lake......to Osakis I shall go!!

sunnies can be wormy most of the big pumpkinseeds have worms i think on the right lake it easier to get a meal of rockies then nice sunnies tongue.gif

If you freeze the fish or cook it well enough do worms even matter?

how big is "big" pumpkinseeds? I've caught some dandies IMO.

Hey Jerkbait, if you read the post, its about rock bass, not sunnies. I am well aware of how the sunnies taste. But that wasn't my question.

But thanks for your 2 cents grin.gif

wazz