Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greg4543

Dead Crappies on Nest

11 posts in this topic

Ive been fishing on next for the last 18 or so years and have never seen something like the kill off of crappies this year. Over the last week it seems like all the crappies small and big (some very big) have floated up and are flowing into the banks.. On one bank on the west side of the lake from afar it looked like snow along the bank and upon closer inspecion it was hundreds or thousands of dead crappies!! Whats to give?? Is it the recent warm temperatures, the lake level, or maybe is the water losing its oygen and the crappies were first to go??

Any ideas?? frown.gif

You could ask the DNR in Spicer.I'm sure they know of it and if not found out why,their lookin!

My guess is blue/green algae.. they just started dying a couple of days ago

I called the DNR and they said they have collected samples and sent them to the UofM The guy said they suspect some type of bacterial infection.

That's usually what it is this time of year when there's a single-species die-off... Conditions for the spread of a bacterial infection are pretty ideal w/ the warm water temps and hot, sunny, calm days as of late.

what % of the crappies died in the lake? I saw hundreds along the west shorline...the deep ones make it?

Todays Willmar Paper,Explains whats happening!!

sparce if you posted the article I didnt see it.. tell me whats goin on please

I dont live in that area... dont get the paper.

Try wctrib.com

The article says the die off is caused by a bacteria, flexibacter columnaris, a bact. normally present in lakes. However, it is opportunistic and the crappies have been stressed by warm water temperatures and lack of fresh water coming into the system due to little rainfall. The stress has made the crappies succeptible to the bact.

Hot weather, common bacteria triggering local crappie die-off

Tom Cherveny West Central Tribune

Published Saturday, August 18, 2007

SPICER — A type of bacteria common to Minnesota lakes is responsible for the die-off of black crappies occurring on Nest, Ringo, and East and West Twin lakes in Kandiyohi County.

Laboratory testing has identified the cause of the die-off as flexibacter columnaris, according to Bruce Gilbertson, fisheries supervisor with the state Department of Natural Resources in Spicer.

This type of bacteria is normally present in lakes. It’s opportunistic, and its acute version occurs when a fish population is under stress, Gilbertson said.

Nest Lake

RELATED CONTENT

Article comments (1)

Tom Cherveny Archive

It is very likely that this summer’s drought triggered the die-off.

Warm water temperatures and the lack of fresh water flow into the lakes are obvious stress factors for the fish, he said.

The die-off has been evident for more than a week. Landowners on the south shore of Nest Lake have been removing dead crappies by the hundreds from their beaches.

Most of the crappies affected by the disease are in the six- to eight-inch range.

Despite the large numbers, Gilbertson said he does not believe the die-off will significantly harm crappie fishing opportunities on the lakes. The preponderance of similar-sized crappies dying of the disease suggests that there may be intense competition for available food. The disease will thin the crappie population, and leave more food available for the surviving fish.

Overall, that should make for healthier crappie populations in the lakes. Anglers may find a better selection of larger crappies in the future as a result.

Gilbertson is optimistic that the flare-up of the disease will not be long-lived. Forecasts for cooler temperatures and much-needed rain offer the promise of reducing the stress factors.