Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeanoB

KR 7 Reservoir

8 posts in this topic

Wow, glad I accidently stumbled across this website! Anyone else fish this small reservoir outside of Rochester (west of Westfire on 19th)? I have taken the kids there but mostly catching small bluegils, and perch, a few small crappie, i have heard reports of nice smallies in there. Any one have tackle tips? I usually use a slip bobber with crawlers for the kids and throw jigs tipped with white jig bodies, or similar white has always seemed to be a good color choice for the panfish (anywhere). I like throwing crankbaits/ raps myself, but have not hooked up with any bass at this spot. Close to work, I go on lunch hour some days, but never seem to find out what these bass are taking. I have mostly fished trout (grew up in MT.) I love trouting. I will throw some pics up of some slobby trout I have caught in SE MN in the near future.

Great website, thank you for this awesome resource!!

Thanks in advance,

Deano

I haven't heard of any smallies in there, but I guess it's always possible.

Deano,

Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com. Great to have another local area pan fishermen to trade and share fishing stories with.

I've been fishing KR-7 for almost 2 years now and there are others on this site that have fished it for longer than that.

For open water fishing I've usually opt to use plastics as the fish in that body of water are aggressive and using bait really isn’t necessary for the most part. Last time I was out there both RugbyGuy and I caught about 75 fish each in a few hours. Culprit paddletails on a 1/32 oz jig under a small float. We were fishing on the dike, not far from the water outlet. We varied our fishing depth, but 2-3’ under the float worked well.

Crappie, perch, bluegill, and green sunfish are the only species of fish I’ve taken out of there. Somebody might have been yanking your leg a little on the smallies out there. I guess it is a possibly, but I personally wouldn’t spend much time chasing them in KR-7.

Hehe I shoulda known the source has been the suspect for yanking legs in the past. Thanks for the info.

Where exactly is this body of water and does it go by another name?

Get on 19th Ave go past Westfire, keep going to the stop sign. This intersection is 60th street. go straight across, it's 2nd gravel drive on your right, the sign says KR7 reservoir, there is a parking area. get out and walk up the mowed path to the top of the dike, you will see the water from there.

Tight Lines

Deano

Quote:

Where exactly is this body of water and does it go by another name?

AKA - Kalmar Res

Quote:

Get on 19th Ave go past Westfire, keep going to the stop sign. This intersection is 60th street. go straight across, it's 2nd gravel drive on your right, the sign says KR7 reservoir, there is a parking area. get out and walk up the mowed path to the top of the dike, you will see the water from there.

Tight Lines

Deano

I will have to stop by there on my way back from visitng my son in byron. thanks for info.