Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuskieJunkie

Best lighted float/bobber?

15 posts in this topic

What is the best lighted float you guys have used?

Here is my experience.

The Thill “Lite Bright” – The good, it’s bright, and is a center slip. The bad, the light is a pain to turn off and on, the one that I have owned the battery died after a month of letting it sit (no I didn’t leave it on), did I get a bad one or what?

The Glow sticks – The good, they’re cheap, and they work on a lot of different floats if you put the rubber band on first. The bad, there is no way to test the old glow sticks you left in your tackle box so to be sure you have to buy new ones for each trip (I’ve been on the losing end of that deal and had to call the fishing quits for the night).

I am sure this topic has been talked about but I searched back and couldn't find anything. Thanks for the help.

Not a big fan of the Thill's....

Gamakatsu lighted bobbers are a lot brighter and they last way longer... a little spendy but well worth it.

I get rid of the chain and just go through the plastic hole.

firetip_grid.jpg

I completly agree with the Gamy!!! They are awesome. Bright and the battery is simple and lasts forever.

the thills are a nice bobber but I have to say that i hate the lighting system....I have purchased about 20 of the batteries and they all have died after one use....untill I gave up and said everytime my buddy grabs one they work multiple times so I had him pick one out and amazingly that worked 2 nights in a row but the one he grabbed for himself did not work after the first use........I wish there was another center strung lighted bobber!!!

This one cast just as good as any center strung float it cost a bit more but well worth it.

Gamakatsu Night Flyer Float.

night_grid.jpg

i will have to give these other options a try...thanks pier

The Gammi's are the best available lighted floats available in the states. National floats are as good or better but you can't find them here. Last time I bought them I had to order them from Japan.

Definitly the Gamakatsu bobbers. I've had the same problems with the thill batteries. Unless you crack the package the night you head out, they're toast.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I use Thill and the batteries last for a very long time I also use them on my tip-ups in winter and one will last a whole season and I fish 2+ nights a week. Are you sure you are getting them turned off all the way? If you do not they will burn out but is turned off and you need to check them in the dark as sometimes you can not see that they a still on a little bit. Most you have to pull out and give a little twist to get all the way off. They should last you many nights. I just wish they would put a collor in the top so the line won't cut into the bobber.

most of the times the darn light won't turn off no matter which way I twist, turn, pull, or push. It stays a light glow then I know I need a new one next time.

Tested all mentioned. I use ESB bobbers (brass insert) and tape (electrician) thill nite brite lite to it. Sometimes they are sticky or hard to shut on and off. But they last so long it is worth taping them on to your bobber.

This has worked the best for me.

I have had many problems with the line cutting into the top of the Thill bobbers, preventing the line from sliding through. This can be a real problem at night when you can't see the bobber stop to know if the lure is all the way down.

Stick with the gamakatsus, or get one with a brass insert and attach a light that way. Just my two cents.

I had so many problems with Thill after buying 6 and all leaked,bad light tubes,line did'nt flow free through,I emailed and complained!! Tagasaki got back to me and stated they were having problems with them and were repairing said problems 2 months later I got a delivery of 1 doz.bobbers with extra lights!! there still sitting in the box they came in! I havnet done any night fishin. cool.gif

Quote:

This one cast just as good as any center strung float it cost a bit more but well worth it.

Gamakatsu Night Flyer Float.

night_grid.jpg

I'll have to try that one. I have not had a problem with the Thill lights other than the cost.

BTW Pier, what is going on with your avatars? You go from Premium beer to what looks like a Walleye? The cat guys are going to get you in for an Intervention! tongue.gif

Jon

massed produced led/battery combo's are so junky...some arrive at the store DOA...some never turn off -> really only last 20+ hours...some do actually work the way it's suppose to work...

Lucky Jacks - better bobber construction, rubber o-ring sealed. Uses same battery type as Thills. A little heavier, but great for walleye night fishing.

Big Thill stick (whatever it's called) - one comes weighted, one doesn't. Pretty good for night cat fishing. Then again, a catfish strike is usually really hard and strong, so even a regular bobber wouldn't make a difference.

Separate battery and led floats work so much more reliable...problem is for center sliding float preference - just don't exist - or I haven't seen one.

Bluefox Firefly (no longer made)- quite small, really good for crappie night fishing.

Last thing...improvise

reflecter tape on bobber grin.gif need a flashlight

little flashlight in a bottle blush.gif

tape on ice strike indicator led light on bobber smile.gif the ones by HT tackle.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• ZachD
      How did you do?
    • ZachD
      So I am torn I want to put a graph in my smaller boat.. I love my lx 6 flasher and am thinking about getting the high speed transducer for it and just going with that but I don't get why they charge $199 for it when bird and lowrance ducers are far less   I almost pulled the trigger on the lowrance hook 4 with down scan and chart plotter at gander for $179  I don't care about the chart plotter really as I have a big hand held gps that I use in that boat and that screen is larger than the hook 4 when you have it split plotter and graph they only had the display model left and wouldn't go lower price so I passed   If I can find the hook 4 at another gander that doesn't have the chart plotter for cheaper I may go with that   Does any one have experience with the lx on open water I hear it is at par with an lowrance elite 5 I am kind of wanting to go with that but don't know   What would you do run the lx open water or go with hook 4 with down scan  
    • bmc
      We survived our trip!  LOL   Fishing was steady.   We caught 30 walleyes in 3 days of fishing.  Usually fished from 11 am to 4 pm.  The 'eyes were running small, lots of 11 to 13 3/4" fish, but we did get 3 keepers.  We also kept a few nice perch and crappies.  We also caught a few snake northerns.   Jigging w/ chubs produced the best, but I did catch a few 'eyes on the crawler lindy rig combo.  Mid lake structure and underwater points off of islands all produced fish.  Mayflys were hatching, but the fish were still hungry. I did catch a 4-5 lb channel cat in the Savanna River one evening.   We stayed in the south loop of the Army Corp campground.  We liked that we were w/in about 30 yds of our boat which we kept at the dock.  The river on the north side of us and the lake on the south side offered a nice breeze to keep things cool and the bugs away for the most part.  Con's were the campsites are small and were too close together.  Also no turn around at the end of the south loop road.  The north loop was beautiful, spacious campsites, but surrounded by swamp and we heard the skeeters were bad at dusk.  Definitely want some thermacells or a screen tent to enjoy the evening by the sounds of things.  Also the docks aren't close/in view of the campsites.   We would definitely stay there again, on the north loop, in May or Sept. after the skeeters have died down a bit.   Staff was friendly, shower houses were nice, boat landings were nice.     Brian
    • MedicineMan
      Went out Thursday for a few hours. Caught a 28" Walleye along with a handful of nice sized Bass.
    • knoppers
      thanks for the report.
    • JBMasterAngler
    • JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our 34th annual Grand Marais trip. Weather, and how bad it was, was the theme. At one point or another, it rained every single day we were there! The wind was miserable he last couple days as well. Really affected our fishing plans, as we had to cancel out on some of our normal lakes, and fish some less than desirable backup lakes.   As per tradition, we left in the middle of the night and pulled up to the Lester River just a few minutes before sunrise. Didn't catch anything there. Also got skunked at the Talmadge and French rivers. I got free admission at Tom's logging camp on account it was Father's Day  and as always, kids had fun feeding the animals. I did catch a few little rainbows out of sucker, knife, and Stewart rivers. Had our traditional "fisherman's breakfast" at McDonalds in Two Harbors. We stopped at the silver creek tunnel, and that was the first time I've been at the overlook since it was actually part of the highway back in '94. We rolled into Grand Marais at about 3:30 and had to wait out a rain storm before putting the boat out on Kimball Lake. We lost several trout, and in the end, only my 6 year old son caught 2 rainbows.   Monday we fished Greenwood Lake, and as was the case with my 2 older kids, my 3 year old daughter caught her very first fish here...a smallmouth bass! Between all of us, we caught about 130 bass, all of which were pretty small. Unfortunately no lake trout. However, a big surprise occurred...while casting for bass, I caught a herring! Then a few minutes later, my son caught one also! Never would have guessed I'd ever catch one in the summer, let alone 2!   Fished a "secret lake" on Tuesday and caught quite a few northerns. They were all either 5 pounds, or 6 inches long, nothing in between. My son caught an 8 pound, 33 incher, which ended up being the biggest fish of the trip. We was screaming, and excited, and wanted me to take his fishing pole. But after about 10 minutes he finally got it in so I could net it. He's still bragging about it. My 3 year old also caught her 2nd ever fish, a perch, which ended up being the only one of the trip.   Went up to Saganaga on Wednesday. I spent I don't know how many hours trying to catch lake trout, but didn't find any!  Finally gave up and ventured deep into red rock bay for the first time ever. Really nice back there, wish I would've went there first. Fishing was ok, considering the weather was starting to get bad. Caught the biggest bass of the trip, a hair over 18 inches. On the drive back we seen a bear. Ironically it was walking down the road to black bear lodge at Poplar Lake.   Biggest disappointment came on Thursday. The plan was to fish both Hungry Jack and West Bearskin lakes. The wind was terrible, and coming straight from the west. Had hungry jack not had the reputation as a big bass producer, I wouldn't have went here. Unfortunately the big bass weren't around, nor any bass for that matter. Only caught 4 small bass. Kids caught about a dozen or so sunnies from the dock at the resort, some of which were decent size. We didn't even bother with bearskin. There's no way we would be able to launch our boats in that wind. We went to Loon Lake instead. In the limited time we were there, we caught about 30 tiny bass. My 9 year old daughter also caught her first rock bass. I tried for lakers, and marked a lot of them, but didn't catch any.    So since we didn't fish West Bearskin as planned, we penciled it in for Friday. Knowing the weather was going to be bad, we picked Poplar Lake as our backup. I drove up to Mayhew Lake to start, because I wanted to check out the launch. I was able to get my boat down the launch, but it was a real tight fit. Nice little lake. We saw a mommy moose with 2 babies laying right on the shoreline. I got sick of trolling, so I decided to cast cranks along the drop offs of the one small stretch of shoreline that was out of the wind (relatively speaking). Hooked into a big fish! Got excited because I thought I finally had a lake trout! It was a northern!  never thought I'd be disappointed in catching a 5.5 pound pike, but that's what I was. Didn't bother going to Bearskin, as I knew the wind was too bad again. Went to Poplar, which is a lake I do not like! As is typical, the fishing was no good! He weather was bi polar! It would be bright and sunny, then rain for 20 minutes. Did that the whole rest of the day! Only caught 1 little pike and  1 little bass. Got excited for a minute, as whitefish started surfacing around my boat in the evening. I was hoping I could catch 1 or 2, but nope!    Saturday we were supposed to fish Two Island for a few hours before going home. But it was pouring rain. We didn't even bother driving around to different boat launches. So the trip ended on a sour note, but we still had lots of fun, seen a moose, had our donuts (I highly recommend the bacon maple longjohn by the way), and went to Sven & Ole's. I was going to go camping in Ely in July, but I think we'll come back to Grand Marais instead, and try to make up for what we missed out on due to the weather. IMG_6122.MOV
    • CaptJohnWis
      I have not been on Rainy much as of late. On June 12, I got 75 walleyes in about 6-8 FOW. On. June 15 (Sanctuary opener) I hit Stangi for several hours and only got four fish. June 17, got 20 fish in about five hours - mostly walleyes on a weed edge in about 8 feet of water. Many on jig with Lunker CIty trailers. Also some good ones on a feather jig. Bass were few and far between. Plus some pike but nothing huge. Biggest walleyes 24-25". Bass 18", pike 29". View my fishing report to see videos of lures that were working.   I did mark lots of fish in deeper water but they were dink walleyes so I did not fish them for long.The dinks are actually harder to catch on lures than bigger ones. They respond better to live bait which I don't use.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      We had a good bite on 1/2 crawlers today! Boated 45 walleyes and kept our limits of fish that were all between 15-1/2" and 19-3/4 "! Released at least 6 slot fish. Largest was a fat 25-1/2 inch fish. Best over all sized fish limit all summer! The walleyes were stuffed with either May fly nymphs or molted crayfish.  
    • Michael Felix