Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedDB76

Blackduck Lake

11 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone!

Dad and I will be up on Blackduck for a few days next week. Kind of a quickly thrown-together trip. I've never fished it before. Mainly going after walleye and northern.

Whats hot and what works? I don't need specific locations, just presentation advice. I've heard there's a crankbait bite - what styles and colors are good on that lake?

Any rigging, jigging, or spinner tips/colors or styles to load up on?

Thanks,

Dan

Fished up there last week and did really well using bobbers in the am tipped with a leech in 9-12 ft of water on top of humps. We also trolled spinners in chartruese and gold colors with crawlers. We did not try cranks, but have heard it is going good. Try the break lines and mid lake structure. You should do good, and hopefully you will hook into a Sheep Head! grin.gif

You will not forget the fight that will be had with one of those, great way to get your heart pumping and amazing to catch and see!

Good luck and let us know how you did!

Thanks Woodman. We'll try the bobber route - are leeches still available up there? Were you getting action throughout the day with the spinners, or pretty much a morning/evening bite?

From what I can gather off of the DNR Lakefinder - I'm guessing the main forage is perch? Looks like there should be a lot of walleyes around the 12-16" size - kinda small, but they'll be good on the plate.

I'll let you know how we do.

When you get to town stop at Timberline and pick up your bait. Last week they had leeches, but have not went up there this week yet. I fished the am hours from 7-10 and had constant success. I have heard that it is still a all day bite, so change presentations, bait, and hold on to your fishing pole! grin.gif

drop me an email woodman at paulbunyan (Contact Us Please) net

Well, got back last night. WOW, did we pick a bad time to take a 3-day trip! We got there Sunday afternoon. Wind howled out of the east, with some rain Sunday and Monday. Fishing was difficult to say the least. We ended up with several small walleye (largest ~12") - all released. We also caught several northerns, and a rock bass.

We didn't hit it real hard. After trying some of the primo-looking spots, I needed to do something different. I had my dad and my fiance in the boat, neither of which I would call experienced fisherman. So, after getting blown around and getting a bunch of tangled lines, I opted to stay in protected areas out of the wind, and we ended up trolling cranks quite a bit. I was surprised that we were catching 7-8" walleyes on #7 shad raps!

All things considered though, it was better than working!

Thanks for your help Woodman!

Well a bad day of fishing is still a better day at work. Glad you had a great time and got to catch some fish. Too bad the wind didn't lay down for you so you could explore some of those other spots. Good luck next time and good to see you made it back home safe and sound!

Just wondering about the water levels. We'll be coming up in early Oct for our annual duck/grouse/walleye adventure, and want to know if we can get our "big boat" (18 ft) into Blackduck? Last Fall we put in at the public landing with our little 14 ft duck boat and there was barely enough water out from the dock to get onto the lake.

Any info would be appreciated.

It was low! I didn't have problems getting my 16' Lund Renegade off the trailer. But, in front of the launch I was hitting bottom.

I also had problems docking at the resort with the lake so shallow.

Dan

dude ill see yah there

Quote:

Just wondering about the water levels. We'll be coming up in early Oct for our annual duck/grouse/walleye adventure, and want to know if we can get our "big boat" (18 ft) into Blackduck? Last Fall we put in at the public landing with our little 14 ft duck boat and there was barely enough water out from the dock to get onto the lake.

Any info would be appreciated.

Pretty windy over the weekend and one couple in a smaller boat on Sunday said that they had to leave the duck and go to a smaller more protected lake, now yesterday the winds calmed down some and actually saw some eyes that were reeled in out of Blackduck, and the panfish bite at the smaller lakes continues to do very well. Hope everyone had a great long weekend. Any bear hunters on opener? We had six here, and from the six hunters there were three bears that were brought back (2 @ 200 and one at 180).