Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNice

Cross eye dominance

9 posts in this topic

I am thinking of getting a bow, I shoot everything right handed, but I am left eye dominant. I always close my left eye with any gun, but am concerned about doing this with a bow. Anybody have this same problem??

Thanks..

I know a guy who has the same issues and shoots a gun right handed and a bow left handed. I also know one who shoots right handed with both. Open both eys and try it.

MNice- I am right handed but left eye dominant. When I started shooting many years ago, both gun and bow. I shot right handed. I was a decent shot, and like you closed an eye... A friend I talked to told me I should try left handed. So I bought a box of clay pigeons and took my shot gun and decieded to give it a shot... Well, it took almost the whold box of clays.. but I was actually a better shot left handed... Gave it a shot with the bow too.. I was a much better shot left handed, in a shorter peroid of time.. If you think about it.. when you shoot left handed, your dominant arm, the one that is stronger is the one doing all the aiming! ITS PERFECT. You only need to strenghen your non dominant arm to pull the bow back!

I switched to LH, and have never looked back or regreted it once. Other than maybe its harder to find equipment.

I am the same way, since I used mostly hand-me-down rifles, shotguns, and bows (the only way to do it in my book) I taught myself to shot right handed even though I was left eye dominant. As I have begun to purchase my own equipment, I am a much better shot with a left handed bow and like Deitz said, having my "strong" arm holding the bow makes it a lot easier to stay level and control the shaking.

Interesting post. I shoot my bow and guns right handed but I'm left eye dominant but at this point in my life (age 50) I have no plans to change, I don't want to take the time and don't want to replace all my guns and bow. I don't consider myself an expert shot but I've shot a LOT of pheasants, and my share of ducks and deer over the years.

Blackjack, do you shoot with one eye closed too?

I made the switch to lefty last year and am very happy I did. I can shoot with both eyes open and my shooting has improved considerably.

No. Both eyes are wide open.