Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Lake home question

23 posts in this topic

My parents are thinking about retiring out to the lake. They are looking around and finding that even horrible places on the lake go for a mint. I told them that but they had to find out for themselves.

I think they would like to find a really bad trailer or cabin on a "middle class" lake and build a new place. We have been looking at Little C, Leaf and Ida. Anyone else have any suggestions?

They want the best of all worlds, of course. Good fishing, good swimming, not weedy, by a main road and good or no neighbors. You know the type.

Does this still exist in a non-deadly price range? I know they want a lot but ...

Thanks

Hit

You're gonna have to get further away from Fargo-Moorhead than that to find something with the price down a bit. One lake that I have always liked is Marion, near Perham. That might come closer to fitting the bill. You might try north of Wadena...Twin Lakes and Stocking Lake (near Menagha) might give an opportunity, as well. They will be far enough away from FM and Brainerd that there will be less pressure. Fishing won't be as good, though...

Scan some lake area real estate websites...Park Rapids, Brainerd, Fergus, Alex...that might give you an idea what you are looking at.

Hitman, tell them to drive north. Property is cheaper as you get further away from Fargo and Minneapolis. take a drive up 34 and turn of on the road that goes towards the boyscout camp. there are some lakes up that way without much pressure and good lakes also.

I'd advise them that asking prices and selling prices are two different things. If they like a property don't be bashful about making an offer. It's become a buyers market in most areas.

All good points, but my parents want to each their cake too.

They want to live close to hospital etc and have it close enough so we bring the grand kids to visit very often.

I can see their point! Doesn't everybody want to buy a cadillac for a ford price? I know I sure would. Its just that the odds of getting a great buy go down on a lake like Big Detroit versus one like White Earth. But they might as well have a look at whats available and hopefully they'll find a place that works for them both in location as well as financially. Best of luck to your folks Hitman.

Yeah -- they want it all .... But you never know. Buyers market this fall. wink.gif

Alexandria has a top notch hospital. FYI. My folks live on the chain in Alex and love knowing the hospital is so close.

Hammered --

Another good thought, but they do want to stay closer to the F-M area.

How about an association? Lake access without the taxes!!! I think there is one located in Crystal Hills.

My relatives have found a nice small lake about 20 minutes north of DL off of Richwood Rd. Clean water, sand bottom, good bluegill and largemouth, decent walleye, snake northerns,

Paved roads and you can buy a small year-round on the water for around 200k. Lake is fairly narrow with a NW-SE orientation and has some high banks to block the wind.

Neat idea. What lake is that?

Yea, that would help. Buffalo lake is the name. Checked the MLS and found several properties for sale there.

Thanks.

Hit

Hit, give me a call, I may have some options/ideas for you. And you better make sure they call me for a mortgage smirk.gif.

Um lets not forget about me. shocked.gif

Boys, Boys -- let's see you guys duke it out. grin.gifgrin.gif

Put in a good word for me F-dog!

2Shae, I didn't know you were in the business. Give me a holler some time, we'll talk shop.

Well i'll be honest im the intern actually that ends tomorrow. Im working on being a loan officer and its going great. Just following in the Shae footsteps i guess.

2-shae --

heard a funny story about your brother today -- something about shoving a pencil down his throat so he could get sick and go home.

Heard that from the Opatril girls.

That was a funny story!!

grin.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

Hit,

Did your folks find a lake place yet? My boss' are selling their lake home on Long Lake by Vergas. 10-15 miles form Perham Hospital. It's a newer modular with a large unattatched garage. It is on a hill above the lake a little bit. Four bedroom, full basement, two full bath. If this might interest them, they have it listed on the internet, but I probably can't list it here. I can get that info if they would like to persue.

Thanks for the heads up --

I think they want to stay within 50 of the FM area Thanks!

Marc