• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

any fire restrictions?

I herd last Thursday that they put restrictions on. I would check the DNR web site for the details before you come.

Quote:

I herd last Thursday that they put restrictions on. I would check the DNR web site for the details before you come.

Restrictions? Seriously? Say it aint' so. Rain is good, right?

-Voyageur

It is very crispy here! I have placed restrictions on myself, and would suggest that for anyone else. The risk for a campfire may be small, but the potential consequences terrible. Many trees are dropping leaves, and ferns and blueberry plants appear dead. I would suggest a campstove, or at most a charcoal cookfire. On the bright side, the weather is comfortable, few annoying insects, and decent fishing. At this moment there is a pine fly hatch going on, but it does not seem to be affecting the fishing as mayflys xometimes do. Tonight's pic: e8550eb7.jpg

according to the ash river center you can still have campfires in the rings. She said it could change in a couple days if its dry.

Just received an email from the DNR. Effective Friday Aug 17th at 8:00 a.m. an increase in restrictions will take place. For Cook, Lake, and St. Louis Counties a full fire ban will be in place. NO CAMPFIRES allowed even in designated fire rings due to the dry conditions. Only exception is campfires are allowed in the abovce counties that are within 1 mile of Lake Superior and are in a designated/patrolled campground. So if you are in these counties and are further away from Lake Superior than 1 mile then campfires are prohibited.

Bummer! I was camping up on Namakan this past weekend and campfires were still allowed. Looks like I picked the right weekend! smile.gif

Quote:

Just received an email from the DNR. Effective Friday Aug 17th at 8:00 a.m. an increase in restrictions will take place. For Cook, Lake, and St. Louis Counties a full fire ban will be in place. NO CAMPFIRES allowed even in designated fire rings due to the dry conditions. Only exception is campfires are allowed in the abovce counties that are within 1 mile of Lake Superior and are in a designated/patrolled campground. So if you are in these counties and are further away from Lake Superior than 1 mile then campfires are prohibited.

Bummer! I was camping up on Namakan this past weekend and campfires were still allowed. Looks like I picked the right weekend!
smile.gif

NNNOOOOOOOOO!!! frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Its the DNR, superior national forest, national park service, BIA. No burning of any kind, except near the big lake. BUMMER!

FROM THE NPS -

VOYAGEURS NATIONAL PARK ISSUES BURNING RESTRICTIONS

Severe drought conditions and lack of rainfall have increased fire danger that continues to plague Northeastern Minnesota. In cooperation with area counties, the Minnesota DNR, U.S. Forest Service, and the Bureau of Indian Affairs, fire restrictions will be implemented in Voyageurs National Park.

Effective Friday, August 17, 2007 at 8:00 am, Voyageurs National Park will prohibit all campfires within the park. The following restrictions will apply throughout the park:

Not Allowed:

· recreational fires (campfires)

· charcoal or paper fueled fires or grills

Allowed:

· gas and propane fired camp stoves, grills, or similar devices

“We ask for everyone’s understanding and cooperation during this critical time,” VNP Superintendent Miller said. “We will remove these restrictions as soon as conditions within the park become favorable.”

Can someone please provide a link to the official fire ban announcement. Thank you.

Fire restrictions on still as of 8/23/07, 2pm. We have had very little rain in the last few weeks, just about 2 tenths of an inch. It will take some serious rain before fires are allowed.

-duckster