Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishngary

Superior Newbie Questions

7 posts in this topic

Hello all. I'm Interested in fishing on the big lake, but have never actually been on it. I live near the metro, and I really enjoy fishing down here, but BOY! OL' BOY! I'd love to hook into some of those lake trout! But before I make a trip of it I would like to know if it would be worth my time? I have a 1978 16ft. aluminum starcraft with an 85 o/b in great shape. I have all emergency equipment, and a new marine band radio. I also have a lowrance fishfinder with G.P.S. I guess what I'm trying to ask is this. Is my boat to small for the great lake? Do I have to travel very far from shore to find good fishing grounds? Can the weather up there turn so bad so quickly that It could swamp my boat let alone ruin the fishing trip? I'm sure these may sound like some simple and basic questions, but I'm new to the area, have never been on a body of water that size, and I believe you can never be too careful. Any advice is much appreciated.

Gary, great to have you here. Welcome! grin.gif

Yes, LS can blow up big waves in a hurry, but many people take out boats no bigger than yours. You have to pick a fairly clam day, and it pays to fish near where you launch, in case the weather changes too fast for small boats to make a 10-mile run in.

There are a lot of guys on this board who have spent much more time on the big lake than I have, and they will help you out. I'd recommend Two Harbors. There's a breakwall and big public landing in Agate Bay there, and plenty of deep water within a half mile to a mile of the bay.

Launching out of Duluth/Superior this time of year means a longer run, although if the McQuade harbor gets finished one of these days (should be this fall, I believe), that is a few miles up the shore from Duluth and could be a good option.

Thank You for the info stf I really Appreciate the help!! grin.gif

Knife River, Two Harbors or even further up the shore would be your best bet and less run time.

Listen to the Marine forecast and if the winds are from the West or light Easterly then give it a go.

Downriggers would be helpful but some reports have gotten fish on top. A couple dipsy diver would be nice.

You should have planner boards to get your lines spread out but the in-line planners would get you by.

Thanks Surface. How would lead core line with planer boards go up there? Also what would you say the average depth of the fish are in the superior during this time of year?

This time of year you almost need downriggers. You might find a few fish with lead core, but downriggers are the most utilized tool this time of year.

fishngary, first of all well come to the site I have a place where you can get all the fish you need just email me at Tpfister@mac,com I will go with you if you would like smirk.gif. Just email me and we can make your trip worth your time the fish are Bitten email me and I will get you on fish cool.gif.