Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawkeye50613

Big Lake off Echo Trail

5 posts in this topic

Is there anyone that would be willing to share information about this lake.I am going in Sept, and have never been there. It looks to be very shallow, and I have an older Tyee I/O. Is there much unmarked reef danger for drives or does the DNR mark all such spots? Any info on the water clarity, fishing etc greatly appreciated. Thanks, I will return the favor if I can...

Kind regards

Kind regards

hawkeye, welcome to FM. Great to have you here. grin.gif

Probably you didn't see the "search" feature. It's a great way to find things out, and there have been many posts about Big Lake over the last few years. If you use that feature and select this board, the BWCAW-Duluth-Range board, and type in Big Lake and walleyes as key words and select threads within the last two years, you'll have a lot of good reading.

Think of FM as a vast library, and the search feature as the card catalog in that library.

And, of course, you'll likely get some fresh responses to your inquiry, as well. grin.gif

Hey Hawkeye welcome to FM. There's only a couple of spots to worry about on Big lake and last I checked (couple of years ago) they were marked. Just keep your eye on the graph and your thumb on the T/T button and you'll be fine. Taint got no fishing advice for you but as STF said there's hundreds of posts RE Big Lake. Good luck.

Welcome to FM Hawkeye. For the most part you will be ok with the rocks on Big Lake but not all are marked and I am talking from past experiences. I haven't been up since the 4th of July week but I did real well trolling (for me) smirk.gif with perch colored shad raps and the old style green rapala. I worked the areas around the 10 foot depths that were close to shore. I saw other boats anchored around the islands. I don't know what they were using or how they did though. I have also done well going thru the narrows and working the south side of the lake. Like ST said there are other posts that have gotten more specific. If you are staying at one of the resorts they will give out some info and also have maps with both fish spots and rocks marked. Depending on when in Sept you are going I may be up before then and will post a report.

Hawkeye:

Big Lake can be a wonderful lake in September. My wife and I have been up there each September for the past 7 years and we enjoy it more each trip. You'll find that the lake doesn't seem that shallow once you've been on it. Just approach the markers cautiously ... as they mean submerged boulders - yet they are usually confined to the immediate vicinity of the markers.

Hope for some cool weather - that often seems to be a trigger for the walleyes on Big Lake. If you have an email address, send it to kyopp@paulbunyan.net and I'll send you some more info on fishing. I'm far from an expert, but I do know some good spots to fish.