Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BarryG

River Depth

8 posts in this topic

Is the Rainy River normal this year or is it low again? The past couple years on our annual trip up north we have been running into low water levels on Rainy. Hopefully there is more water this year! We are coming up Sept 14th this year, hoping it will be cooler than when we were there in Aug last year! Thanks! grin.gif

The river is really optimum right now. Good level, good clarity, and very fishable flow.

Had a great walleye bite on Wed. afternoon on jig & leech.

Only got to fish a couple of hours but my 78 year old pop and I were just under our limit of nice 14-17" eyes even with his southwest Iowa bass and catfish hook-set!

Lots of small fish but always happy to see them!

Find some structure(dunes, sawteeth, etc.) and slip drift or anchor. Found fish at all points on the structure.

Hate to admit that I know it but the northern bite has finally taken off. The weed line has finally established with the changing water depths and the jacks have oriented to it. Troll anything silver. I like a #14 Husky Jerk or #7 Shad Rap. Troll upstream at a pretty good clip with the shallow bait as close to the weeds as possible. Bottom bumpin' is a good thing.

You also never know when you'll see an eye, sauger, or smallie.

Thanks! I can't wait to get up there! grin.gif

I'm headed that way for some smallie fishn'...

How are the levels compared to last year?

About the Same

Any change? Has there been any rain up that way?

Have'nt seen much for rain BarryG, the river is quite low. If we don't see rain it'll be lower than last fall if it is'nt already?

Thanks fisky!