Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparky134

5 Weeks and counting

8 posts in this topic

Coming up Sept 15th with a group from Chicago area. Been looking at the forum since we booked the trip in June. Finally got around to joining today (best use of overtime at work in a long time) I personally haven't been to Cass for about 25 years mad.gif wife, kids job etc. The others have never been there and I'm the one who suggested Cass so they're kinda counting on me for a successful trip. Are we coming up at a good time? Any other tips would be much appreciated

Sparks, what will you be fishing for?

Sparky,

I've been going to Cass in Sept.(2nd or 3rd week) for nine years I think. It is a great time of year to be there. Fishing varies from year to year, depending on weather and water temp. Some years pike and bass are heavy in the weeds, but the next year the weeds are empty. The perch should be in shallow(2-8 ft), so they are a good thing to go after in the afternoons. Move around til you find nice sized ones (jig and minnow), and we have found some eater size eyes in with the jumbos, too. The walleyes can be HOT... or not, depends on location, color, weather, time of day, method, mood, etc,. etc. confused.gif Ha , you get the idea. I wasn't a walleye fisherman, so didn't know how to go about it or where to look at first. We hired a guide a couple years to help with that, and that has helped a lot, with methods and locations. If you experiment a little after you find them, you can find the HOT bait and METHOD of the day sometimes.I would recomend Brian Jones (First Choice Guide Service) for a day or 1/2 a day to help with the locations etc. if you can swing it, one of the first days you are there. It would help you out rest of the week, for sure. laugh.gif I'm trying to work out the details of my trip now, but I'm looking at the second week/end. I try to post when I get back, so I may have a couple tips for you by the time you go..... I hope!!

Good luck to you, you will enjoy the area.

Honestly, anything that bites. Not too picky just looking for fairly consistant action. last trip we all took, as a group, was on a private lake 25 hours away. not a good return trip. 5 guys, 1 van, 25hour drive, imagine the rest. the driver, at the time got a couple tickets within an hour of each other. just trying to get us home. frown.gif already booked a guide(I hope waiting for a response) for our first full day out. Just hoping for any help. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I don't know who you picked for a guide on Cass, but you can't beat Brian Jones with First Choice Guide Service. We have used him for the last five years for a day or 1/2 day and it has been money well spent. We use him for Muskie and walleye usually in August when the walleye can be hard to find for someone that doesn't fish the lake, except 1 time a year for a week. Good luck.

Sparky,

I whole heartedly agree with walleye35! I have used Brian since he started in business 6 years ago. He is from the area and has fished the lake for 16 years. Like walleye, I book him for half day trips. I booked him for 5 half days the last week of July and first week of Aug and was not dissapointed. Sept is a great time to hit Cass, the walleye should be turning on then after the summer heat and you should be able to fill the freezer with walleye and perch. Brian really knows muskie fishing but that is not my cup of tea. Brian is a family man also and he works well with beginners as well as seasoned fisherman. I have been in advertising my whole life and Brian and I talked this year about how he can take his business to the next level and we came up with the idea of a referral discount. If you tell him that Windy sent you, he will give you a discount off his already low prices. I have shopped the other guides on the lake and can tell you that Brian is $10-25 less on a half day trip than most of them. He will also give you a good trip, not the "time clock" trip that runs 4 hours dock to dock on the nose. He will stay out the extra time to make sure you catch fish. He will also show you where to fish and how to fish the lake. Give him a call and tell him Windy sent you. You will not be dissappointed.

Windy

Yes, we are going to use Brian. Just waitng for confirmation on the day we picked. Windy, I have been following the forum for awhile now and must say I picked Brian because your recomendation.

Sparky,

Be sure to tell Brian that so he knows that I am doing my job, LOL. I really like Brian and I just want everybody going up to Cass to have an enjoyable trip and starting with Brian can help that greatly. Good luck, let us know how you do and what you think of Brian's trip.

Windy