Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avidfisher

minnetonka walleye ??????

3 posts in this topic

I am fairly new to walleye fishing on minnetonka. Need advise on what structure to fish for them this time of year. I like going in the evening (about 7pm till 1 or 2 in the morning a lot less traffic and quiter). Are they going to be in shallow or deep structure. I usually fish with lindy rigs. Would rapalas work better if so what depth range. i read and hear alot about tonka never have made it down there. how would you get there from 169 and 55. how early or late would one go i have map which areas would work best or presentations. I usually go out of greys close to home. Any information in the right direction would be much appreciated.

My approach is weedlines. Ive been fishing deep humps, shallow humps, and long and short deep points, and the best producer is a weedline that drops off deep from shore. i try to find the deepest ones and i work the area where the weeds go from super thick to hardly nothing on the deep side. The ones ive been using is about 12.5 to 14 fow with a lot of scattered rocks and boulders. Oh and i usually fish the Westside. Bait of choice being the classic jig n minnow, chartruese or orange. I normally get out around 6:30-10:00pm. I have fished long after dark but not long enough to find that second bite.

Oh yeah... with this approach i get alot of snakes.

good luck

daniel

i would strongly recommend to troll the rock to sand transitions fast about 2.5 miles per hour and stair step your lures while trolling. what this does is it triggers mor fish have a lure 5 feet from the bottom and then 10 or 15 feet from the bottom. because a fish is going to be mor elikely to come up for a lure rather than come 2 or 3 feet down for that bait. this tactic is deadly for 2 reasons. first of all walleyes are schooling up and spread out all over the lake right now looking for suspended bait fish. so they are actively feeding suspended. and second of all you will cover a ton more water using this tactic also, walleyeJoe