• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thanks all

Random guy

I would like to thank anglers across Minnesota for letting me have the run of the lake. While everyone stays away from Upper Red Lake us locals have been having a blast, limits of walleye if you are willing to work for them a little and today showed nine pike in two hours of fishing, three of those over 40 inches long! So where are going to spend next weekend fishing?

40" fish

40inchkg3.jpg

43 inch tanker

aug43ip2.jpg

We have walleyes also

27walleyetd2.jpg

I just don't get it, some of the best fishing I have had in my life has taken place this summer on Upper Red and nobody is around. I launched out of Westwinds this morning at 9am, normaly a busy time on Fridays but I was the only guy in the marina, kinda nice. I had help putting the boat in, no line at Westwinds bait shop then I fished for four hours and only came across one local out on a small gravel bar giggling away because the walleye and sheephead have kept him from sitting down over a two hour period and needed to bum some minnows. Then I go in and have help putting the boat back on the trailer before having lunch at Westwinds with my very own cook and waitress.

I don't mind sharing the lake but if you guys want to stay away and let me, Tyler and the other guides and resort owners have all the fun fine with me. wink.gif

Couldn't be Kelly taking the picture... no thumb in front of the lens! grin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

Self potraits again, those are the GOOD pictures you should see the bad ones. "Headless fishermen", closed eyes and even one that has a awesome shot of the steering wheel. confused.gif

Nope, I was building a bridge to Blackshack's bait site and working on 3 new sites that look sweet. Of corse they all feel great when a person first builds them. grin.gif

Heh, I would love to go fish some monster pike there.... but I dont know the lake, dont have any idea where to launch from and (no offense) would rather not go with a guide. My dad has a much bigger boat than me and I cant seem to talk him into going there.

Westwinds Resort has a very nice protected harbor/launch, bait, fuel the whole works, also Morts on the South side and the public ramps on the river if you like rush hour traffic.

Get on over there Sledneck and start getting into some of those Pike, you wont regret it. And heck, dump the money for a guide and you really WONT regret it. Jonny has openings I bet. Good luck!

A really big fish but it seems for Jonny P, it's just another average fish.

Jonny can find and put one on some really good bites and rather large creatures. Myself and two friends spent two days with Jonny on Red and all I can say is we fished hard but did rather well. The BIG northern we didnt boat as I missed it towrds the side of the boat. I guess another trip to red is starting to shape up.

Hope to see you soon Jonny. smile.gif

Johnny P....

The same crew that rented a house or two from you and kelly would love to come up for some open water fishing....we've been a little spooked by the wave possibilities...I have a 16.5 ft Lund with a 40 Yamaha on the end....on the average day could we get some water time? How far out will we be fishing, etc?? we are thinking of bringing a few younger guys along (they tend to catch the 43" pike through the ice)...also, how far is the Drake away....my buddy has a camper, but we'd have to drive tandem.....other options closer to the lake???

Okay...last question.....can we start booking with Kelly for the ice season?????? tongue.gif

As for the waves as long as the wind dosn't get cooking 15-20 out of the west you will be fine. We always talk about big waves and small boats but I grew up fishing with Kelly at the helm of a 18 foot bench seat Lund and a MONSTER of a motor weighing in at 25hp and we never had one day of trouble. wink.gif

The Drake Motel is only 30-40 minutes away and a great place to stay not to mention if Red gets wild the folks at the Drake keep their ear to the ground with all the smaller lakes around Blackduck so you have a back-up plan. Check out the Drake at The Drake

As far as I know Patsy does not start taking bookings until October 1st for the upcoming ice season.

Jon,

I was up at red this past weekend with my fiance. We stayed at one of westwinds cabins and had a great time. We caught 4 large pike. 2 39's, a 40 and a 43.5. That was definately worth the 4 hour trip. Can't wait to get back!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you catch those big pike? I really don't know sizes of northerns and so forth but what are the weights of those 39-41 inchers and what could you keep on Red?

Thanks

Roughly a 40" pike on Upper red will come in at 19-21 lbs.

Muskie35, You guys timed it right that storm put a big slowdown on for a couple of days. Heck of a storm that blew in that night then on Saterday I was blown off the lake in the AM. I was the big Crestliner that came in sideways wide open soaking wet. I went home and watched the perfect storm again to remind why a guy should at least look at the weather forecast from time to time. Then it turned out to be flat calm in the afternoon? Turned out to be great day of fishing.

Jon,

I saw you coming off the lake saturday morning. I was in the blue lund tiller. I was getting ready to go out, and I saw how drenched you were and I decided not to venture out. I went out in the afternoon just after the wind died down and that is when I got my biggest northern of the weekend. Next time I come up I might give you a call to go on a guided trip with the Red Lake Pro. We did well, but it would be fun to go venture out with you.

I should have stuck it out, that post front pike bite can be great, sounds like you got into it just right.

So tell us the story, how deep, what lure, did kick your butt at boat side, wrap around the motor?

Jon,

I was trolling a large rapala in about 6 ft. of water. I grabbed the rod out of the rod holder when I saw it bend in half. It felt like a large log. Then it swam back and forth a few times and came up to the surface about 20 ft. out. I could tell it was a big fish. I got it to the boat and it made one hard dart down. I then got it to the boat and my fiance did a good job netting it. However she had a hard time lifting it into the boat. It is sure fun to reminice!