Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Zumbro Report (8/9/07)

2 posts in this topic

Had the pleasure of taking my wife out fishing last night at Lake Zumbro for the Hooked on Fishing (HOF) League. Another hot and muggy night, but it was still comfortable to be out there. The recreation traffic was at its expected levels so it was nice to fish in areas that provided a little protection.

The bluegill fishing was pretty decent and the bass seemed to be around every corner. For the most part the crappies steered clear of out boat thou, but many others found them.

Most of our bluegills came about 3’ under a float on a small jig and a small piece of nightcrawler. Areas need wood or rocks were best, but we caught them in all kinds of areas. Several came on plastics as well freelining.

We gave the crappies an honest effort for about an hour, but only came up with one. In an effort to keep Michelle’s interest up we resorted back to bluegill fishing. A dozen or so smallies up to 15” were caught along with 1 sheephead, 1 green sunfish, and a few small largemouths.

We didn’t win the event, but anyday on the water with my wife is a victory in its own right.

I too was out on the lake last night, though I didn't know about the event that was going on. Had a great night much like you Tyler with the bluegills along shorelines and trees. I caught a niece 17" largie which was the highlight of the night. I caught one smaller crappie and I think between my wife, father in-law and myself caught a few dozen gills between 7-915. So a pretty good night.