Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

September Evenings On Chisago

8 posts in this topic

I'm gonna have a free day or 2 to do some evening/night fishing in mid september and I thought I'd hit up one of the lakes on the chisago chain...I'm leaning towards chisago, but am open to suggestions. Is there any general info I should know about these lakes that time of year?

what r u gonna fish for?

i m sure deitz will chip in soon. he know the area pretty well.

like Matty said.. it really depends on what you are going to fish for... and what your goal is.. many of the lakes here have either catch and release regs or slots, so if you plan on taking meal home, and depending on what you want to catch...

100% C&R for me. While it's still light out I'll be fishing for bass and pike, but once the sun sets I'll be in search of the infamous walleye.

If your all catch and release... I would say at this point and time.. Green lake would be your best option.. however has the worst access at this time with the low water. Good bass lake, got some sumo pike in it, and probably the best population of walleye in the area... But also has a 17" slot on it... Chisago may be the best bass lake in the area, I have not done well for pike or walleye on it this year however... N/S Center has a fairly decnt poulation of wallley and some decent pike, but the bas fishing has been fair...numbers ok, but size not so much. Might also consider the Croix?

I got the croix penciled in for this month and october. From what you say about the lakes though, I think I might have to flip a coin to decide which one to fish.

JB- they are all good.. flip the coin a few times and fish em all.. LOL

You guys should know by know, its roll the dice, not flip a coin.

I have been fishing in the area a lot this year and have hit all the lakes multiple times. Everything Deitz said is dead on. I have done well for walleye on Green, but they were all pretty small, 12-15 inchers. I have tangled into some nice bass out there, but not as many numbers. S.Center has been phenominal for me for bass numbers but the size is down from previous years. I haven't really fished S.Center for eyes yet so I can't comment on that. And Chisago is near and dear to my heart. My grandfather owned two different houses on the lake and I grew up fishing that lake. Because of the slot/c&r reg, the bass are very nice sized. I have seen more than one 5 from the lake this year. Whatever the choice, have fun.