• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat purchase questions

augernaut

Question

Hey all - looking for a little help as to whether or not this is a good deal:

1997 Sylvan Backtroller, 16' deep vee aluminum boat, livewell, storage, etc.

50hp Evinrude - console boat/power tilt/trim

Evinrude/Johnson trolling motor (no more info than that)

trailer

2 new batteries (don't know brand)

boat is in good condition, has not seen much use.

$3,200

It's the boat of a friend of mine's dad, I'm no expert on boat buying - can someone fill me in on if this is a fair price or not? I'm not really up to snuff on boat prices!!

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Yeah, doesn't sound bad at all. As long as the engine runs wink.gif

Have fun!

Engine is good I guess - I did NADA on it and it came up with about $3700, but I know NADA is off on non-car prices from time to time. He said it has a little moss growing on the back deck from it sitting - that worries me as I don't want to have to replace any decking right away!! But, I think the thing to do is to go drive it / check it out, and see....

YES THAT'S A GOOD DEAL.

I just sold a '94 Tracker 17 tiller with a 60 hp merc for $5k (that was earlier in the year).

Don't get hung up on NADA, it's close for newer boats but it's always low on the older boats.

First thing to do is take it for a test run! Make sure that you check the transom to make sure it isn't rotten, when you start the motor make sure it is peeing. Check the compression on all cylinders, they should all be within 10% of each other. Check the boat for leaks, and test all the flooring for weak spots. Good Luck!