• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2000 F150 ADVICE.....

slimngrizzly

Question

Im looking at buying a 2000 F150 5.4L. Does anyone have one with higher miles, is it a good truck? I hear they have had problems with the head gaskets on the left side and Im a little nervous about it.

Just wondering how people like their f150s in this year class. What should I expect for gas milage?

Thanks for the advice!

18 answers to this question

I was thinking about the spark plugs blowing out of the heads myself!

Ball joints seem to be an issue, 30 - 50k on the lowers a little longer on the uppers.

Seem to go through front brakes fairly quickly also. Along with a lot of frozen calipers.

Other than the occasional alternator, thats about all the normal stuff that I see.

The head gasket problem was the right side, its an external oil leak, if its not leaking now dont worry about it, as air jer said plugs blowing out was an issue, but I would change my mind do to that , a quick and easy fix. Have a mechanic look it over, if its in good shape and its a good deal buy it!

Plugs blowing out shocked.gif that doesnt sound good!!! This truck has over 85,000 miles on it. Would a lot of these issues already be worked out? or should I just walk away? Whats the quick fix with the spark plug thing? sheesh you got me worried now... blush.gif

I have a 2001 and when I brought it in for the 60K mile service, they recommmended doing the plugs. They have a tendency to have the problem after 75K miles. Supposedly the plugs literally strip out of the heads. I don't know exactly what they do to fix it as I believe the problem was related to the head design not having deep enough plug holes to provide ample threads to hold them in. I'm not sure what they do to fix it but I've heard they maybe use helicoils or something to that effect and I don't know if it's even a permanent fix. Personally, I think it should be a Ford problem but apparently we consumers haven't complained enough yet. I did email Ford and let them know that I was not pleased about the expense when I was told at the time of sale that I shouldn't have to replace the plugs until its 100K mile service. In fact, this was one of the questions I raised when I was buying. I saw the location of the plugs and how difficult it would be to get at them and pointed this out. The salesman assured me I'd only have to do it once unless I kept the vehicle for over 200K miles. So far though, this is the only problem I have had with mine. It has worked great otherwise.

Bob

The problem ford had with these was that the threads on the head only had a few threads on it, and the spark plugs only had a few, and they would blow out of the holes. If this happens to you, heli coil and a new plug, $10, add $90 to that if the coil busts, 30 minutes of time. The only bad part is if it happens you cant drive anywhere. Chances of it happening slim, but sucks when it does.

4wanderingeyes is correct! Not enough threads.

The good news is that the the newer 5.4 liters have a problem with the plugs breaking off in the head when a tune - up is attempted. Guess what the fix is for that! grin.gif

King of the mountain? blush.gifsmirk.gif

Slimngrizzly

On any vehicle it all depends on how they are driven and cared for.

I had a 2000 F150 5.4 L with 175K that I recently traded on a 2007. I really debated getting rid of it because it was reliable and in great shape. I didn’t have any of the problems others list. The only repair issue I had was the ABS pump (not sure if that is what it is called) at one time. Realistic millage 15-17 with 17 -1 8 at best during good conditions. But I used it for normal driving not a lot of towing or loads.

Buy a Chevy. I think the whole problem is the 4 words on the front of the pick up.(FORD) I believe that stands for "found on road dead"

I had a 1999 F-150 with the 5.4 and had only 1 problem with it. My issue actually was with the #7 coil (I believe it was 7) The factory clamp for the coolant hose loosened up and a little coolant dripped on the coil taking it out. Yep, it was frustrating, but a new clamp and I never had an issue after that.

I ended up trading my 99 in when it had close to 110,000 miles on it as I got a deal (between trade in and list price it was to good to pass up) on my current pickup (2002 F-150 with the 5.4) It was EXACTLY what I wanted in a pickup so I pulled the trigger on it. I plan to keep this one for a while and it hasn't had a single issue yet either. 17-18 is about average for mileage on the highway and the original factory tires are horrible in the winter (I believe they came with Goodyear Wrangler R/T) But, if all I can complain about is tires, that is an easy enough fix. If it wasn't for that deal, I'd probably still have that 99.

And the Ford has even pulled a Chevy out of a ditch before too! grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

My issue actually was with the #7 coil (I believe it was 7) The factory clamp for the coolant hose loosened up and a little coolant dripped on the coil taking it out.

Replaced plenty of those. Of course its the one on the passenger side all the way in the back making it that much more fun to replace! grin.gif

I have owned mine since 93000 miles and I have had to replace spark plugs and two packs. I now have 140000 miles and my mileage averages about 14 mpg. I absolutely love it and would not hesitate to buy another.

Well thanks everyone, I apreciate the comments... Im gonna look at it and mull it over.

I laugh at your stories... I have a 98 Ford Ranger now, last winter I jerked a big Hummer out of the ditch! That guy was so angry... I should have left his ungreatful a** there! Fun though grin.gif

Quote:

4wanderingeyes is correct! Not enough threads.

The good news is that the the newer 5.4 liters have a problem with the plugs breaking off in the head when a tune - up is attempted. Guess what the fix is for that!
grin.gif

King of the mountain?
blush.gifsmirk.gif

The repair for the newer trucks, ( 04-05 mostly 04) is alot simpler than you think. Ford has a sweet tool that pulls the broken piece out. This fault wasnt a ford issue, but a spark plug issue. If you have the special tool, it takes about an extra 5 minutes per broken plug.

Just for the record, these break during removal, and is not an issue that breaks and leaves you stranded.

Quote:

Ford has a sweet tool that pulls the broken piece out. This fault wasnt a ford issue, but a spark plug issue. If you have the special tool, it takes about an extra 5 minutes per broken plug.

Is that before or after the customer tries to do it themselves? blush.gif

Quote:

Is that before or after the customer tries to do it themselves?

The before tool is cheep and its easy!

The after is alot more difficult, it consits of a whole toolbox and about 16 hours grin.gif

You wouldnt believe how many shops pull the head off them, then they call me to find out how to time them, and I ask why they pulled the head off and I tell them there is a tool that pulls the broken piece out and dont need to pull the head off, if they only would have called first smirk.gif

I have an '03 5.4 liter. I was fortunate enough to have 2 plugs blow out. smirk.gif Plug one, on my way to (Contact Us Please) opening day with boat in tow. Plug two, sitting at a stop sign in Brainerd 2 weeks later. Now I say I was fortunate because I was able to get the truck "fixed" with a hela coil, my family wasn't with me somewhere north of Red Lake(stranded) and it wasn't crazy expensive. Around $ 500 a time, frown.gifI had them replace ALL plugs the second time around, I am curious as to how long a hela coil will work ? Should I have the head re-built ? Any advise would be much appreciated !!

Thanks Fellas !!

Im not airjer, but I would be willing to give my .002.

You had 2 blow out of an 03, that year it wasnt a very comon thing, it was more in the 2000 era. A true ford fix was to replace the head. Not a very dollar friendly thing! I have used heli coils in about 100 of them, about 2 or three came out and had problems down the road, to me them are good odds. Ford says heli coils will have a heat transfer problem, and not to use them. I havent seen a problem with the. Ford now has come out with a aluminum insert to repair it, I would go that route if it is available at the time you are in need of it, and you had the choice. Not available through other than a ford dealer. Which can make it hard when in a pinch. I wouldnt worry about your heli coils you have.

4wanderingeyes, Thank you for quick reply !! grin.gif I really appreciate it !! It is kind of a lousey deal when your truck immediately sounds like a chopper. The first time I had no idea until I saw the plug laying on the cylinder cover. The second time you can only imagine grin.gif

Thanks again !!!

CEDES }<>