Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frydaddy

birch / bear island / silver island camp sites

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently ordered and received my superior national forest map. I have become aware that there are numerous lakes within the superior national forest (but outside the bwca) that have small public access ramps and boat campsites on them similar to bwca sites. I am a bwca veteran but would love to hit a few of these lakes with my wife and our small 16ft lund w/30hp merc.

The question is this....we have a long drive to get to the area and i know these boat campsites are non reservable, how fast are they filled on a weekend? If we are looking for one of the boat sites (i believe it has over 10)on birch on a saturday morning are we out of luck?

Anyone have any favorite lakes in superior that has a few boat sites?

Thank you.

you should not have a problem getting a campsite on birch. they are not used that often this time of year. mostly house boats will use them.

Bear Island Lake campsites are used very little. Pretty lake,but fishing is slow right now. Best bite for bass, pike or walleye is early or late in the day.

Big Lake up on the "echo trail" has some nice campsites outside of the BWCA. The other lakes can be tough to fish. But Big Lake is a bit easier to fish. Take a search on this site I think I have a detailed where to fish post about a year old or so. It is a bit longer to get to and one corner is in the BWCA so you need to keep your boat out of that corner. Despite the name it is not as big as these others. I've never seen more than a couple of the sites being used at a time. Weigh out how long it takes you to get there vs. running up to Big but I have had better luck when fishing gets tougher.

Like Zap said Big Lake up the Echo is a good lake to go to however the camp sites have on occasion been full. Also you can use your motor on all parts of the lake even though the one corner is in the BWCA.