• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anchors keep slipping

chrisduc

Hello all, just wondering if you guys have any tips or tricks to help your anchors hold better. I was on a nice bite last weekend and kept slipping off my spot (I hate that). Any ideas?

I used tohave the same problem. I've heard of a few tricks, try more than 1 anchor.(thats kinda obvious) Adding 4' or so of chain from the anchor to the rope. Then letting out way more rope than you think you would need. It also helps to stay sitting and not rock the boat as much as possible. & for what ever reason to try using thicker diameter rope. wink.gif Hope this helps, welcome to FM. smile.gif

4 foot of chain from anchor to rope then twice as much rope as depth of water you are in.

Yep, try playing out three times the depth to get your anchor to bit, two anchors are better then one and a sand point type anchor with 3-4' of chain might give you the bite you need as well. Move upwind of the spot you want to fish drop the anchor aqnd backtroll with the appropriate length of rope and it should bite if it is a sand or muck bottom. If you are in the rocks then you will have a harder time getting an anchor to bite and when it does you may have an even harder time trying to get it up. Hope this helps!

Tunrevir~

I would let out at least three times the depth to hold. You can use a second anchor if you want to stay still.

Thanks a lot guys, all good advice. Most of them I have tried but some great ideas here. A friend tipped me onto a new product that just came out. I ordered one and after I get a chance to use it I will post how it works. Thanks a lot guys!

Do a google search for a product called Drop-n-Stay. It's a new product but so simple and inexpensive you could almost kick yourself for not thinking of it on your own. I just got one and it worked well in high-winds and big water last week on Winnebago.

What kind of anchor have you been using?

The previous tips will definitely help but if you are trying to hold an 18' deep V with a 10lb mushroom anchor, you'll be back here after your next trip complaining that we are full of crap. smile.gif

I'm a part of the heavier is better crowd. 25lb Richter Anchor and you won't go anywhere. Heavy Navy or River anchors work pretty well too.

Anchor so the bow of the boat is pointing directly into the wind by tying off your anchor either to the eyelet on the front or put a cleat up there. If you tie off on the side of the boat you'll always have problems in the wind.

That is the product I had ordered. The video on their website sold me on it. Looking forward to giving it a try. I will let you all know how it works.

Nelson,

How dare you post about the "Drop-n-Stay". What if they are not a sponsor?!?! How dare you post good sound advice without checking the sponsor list first!!! I am sure your post will be edited or deleted.

Nothing wrong with giving good info about good products. Its when people give out contact info that it can be a issue.

Looks like a nice product. We have been using "Shocker cords" on anchors for years but I havent seen a at the boat system before.

Hey corn cob, How dare you jump on someone all you have to do is say that informing individuals about a certain product might be against policy. No need for your comments, if you can't say something nice dont say it on here.

Quote:

I'm a part of the heavier is better crowd. 25lb Richter Anchor and you won't go anywhere.

I bought one this spring and I love it. On the river, you can control boat movement down stream with them. I also have got it hung up on some pretty tough logs/rocks and it came out right away (move up stream and she pops out). I am buying another one for this spring! smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I'm a part of the heavier is better crowd. 25lb Richter Anchor and you won't go anywhere.

I bought one this spring and I love it. On the river, you can control boat movement down stream with them. I also have got it hung up on some pretty tough logs/rocks and it came out right away (move up stream and she pops out). I am buying another one for this spring! smile.gif

These are awsome anchors, I have had my stuck in several times, with little work it has came out evertime, and it holds really well, 25#.

I switched to a WaterSpike this year and it holds well also. Lightweight, stores flat.

Well, I got the Drop-n-stays I had ordered. Had a good wind today and was able to give them a try. Here is my evaluation: Fast, easy to use, definately made a noticable difference. I give them a 9 out of ten. I could not believe how much nicer the ride was in rough water. Tried with and without to see how the anchors would hold and I can honestly say I did not slip at all with them on and I did slip every so often wihtout it. I thought it used a bungee cord but this is unlike any bungee I have ever seen. It is much stiffer and appears way more "heavy duty".

On a side note, I got a 27" walleye which is always a plus!