Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tippman

Minnkota Autopilot issues

11 posts in this topic

There was a post on this awhile back but couldn't find it. My trolling motor works great until I turn on the autopilot. After a short time it will spin out of control always clockwise. Sometimes it also just shuts the autopilot off. Is this something I can easily fix or replace? Or do I need to bring it in? Thanks

I just went through the exact same thing. It is a board that has gone bad. I got mine fixed at a place in Bloomington. You can find it on the Minn Kota website under authorized repair. (You may even be able to find a place in St. Cloud) I think it cost $74. It was fixed in a day. Mine was out for almost a whole season, I figured I would due without. Then out of nowhere it started blowing fuses, so I had to take it in. Since the board was replaced I haven't blown a fuse.

A bad battery could cause this. Make sure the battery is fully charged and the levels are up.

If the battery is good then you have a bad compass/board. It can be recalibrated by a repair center or replaced. They'll tell you the best route to go. The new board is $120 + tax and labor.

My oldest son, who lives in S.D., had the same issue as you. He was told it would run a $100 plus to fix it. He bought a mini kato co-pilot. He told me he would never buy a auto pilot again after using the copilot.

I love using the autopilot, the co-pilot is nice to but they work as a great team. My question is my autopilot goes a little nuts when I get into some decent waves, I assume thats just because the compass is getting bounced pretty good, am I correct?

Thanks

When you mount your motor the shaft should be plumb. If its off plumb + waves, that could be why your having a problem.

Its a micro possessor much like your computer. Living outside in extreme temp changes and elements doesn't help.

I think the worst thing for the AP is bad or intermittent connections, namely the 3 prong plugs and socket. If they're not tight replace them.

I love the autopilot as it fits my type fishing well. Holding a coarse so I can concentrate on presentation has spoiled me. Therefore I'll always have one on my boats.

I do know that the replacement AP board is an improved solid state board and hopefully more dependable.

I also love my AP. Its nice to have two hands for the rod while fishing and not have to watch where you are going. I can fish and watch the graph and make small adjustments as I go. I wouldnt be without it.

I have noticed when moving the boat that the autopilot does wig out when hitting the waves but as mentioned I assume that is from when the compass is being bounced. I have had a couple occations where it went goofy but have yet to have it consistanly happen. I know this much after having had two trolling motors without autopilot and now having an autopilot I am very happy to have the AP. When you team it up with a copilot it is tought to be. I love that little remote. I like being able to move anywhere in the boat and not being chained up like a dog smile.gif.

I agree. New boat and last boat both had auto pilot. I put the co-pilot on. I use that more than not, but when you just want to set a course you can't beat the AP.

Well got it back today from Scheels. They replaced the compass board, a bent pin near the prop, and removed some melted power pro from prop pin as it was drawing high amps. Cost was 70 for parts and 30 for labor. Thanks for info.

You got a great deal!