Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CoffeeGuy

Late Sept Fishing

7 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me how fishing is on Mille Lacs in late September in a "normal" year? I've been hearing that things can be kinda slow then and I'm trying to decide whether or not it's agood idea to plan a trip around that time of the year.

Thanks in advance for the comments!

JoelH

One word describes Sept, Oct, and even Nov. "AWESOME". grin.gif Especially towards the full moon.

Check back on prior posts from last year.

Fishing is maybe the best at this time. If the day bite is slow, sleep then and then start trolling Shad Raps & Husky Jerks at night. Colors like clown, tennesse shad, perch, firetiger, gold, some of the chromes.

Keep checking back in the next couple of weeks. This will be a favorite topic.

Pay very close attention to what Team Otter has to say grin.gif. I'm trying to line something up with him this Fall.

Paul from Appeldorn's is another great one to tap for information.

Some of the biggest "Pigs" are caught this time of the year.

You'd want to be prepared for both day and night time action for sure. Minnows under a float on the rock reefs can be dynamite during the day time and evening hours. But, I guess if I had a choice, I would wait until sun-down and move into shallower water and troll #5 or #7 Shad Raps or mid-size stick baits adjacent to weed cover or rocks. I like to keep the lure profile down just a touch until late into October and November.

The fish put on the feedback in the fall. They also start moving toward shore and shallower water. Typically it's a good bite but not in the typical summer locations. Live bait and cranks are both effective.

I love the fall night trolling bite. Water temperature is more of a key than the moon phase in my opinion, and there's definately fewer boats on the water if you don't go on the full moon weekends.

I generally prefer trolling the weeds instead of the rocks, but it can be tough until they start dieing off and getting knocked down a bit. Sometimes September can be early for the weed bite because of the hassles of fouling up, especially if you've got waves and wind monkeying around with your boat control.

TO makes a great point about bait profiles. In Sept last year we did our best over rocks with smaller baits, like original Raps and Roach version Rogues -- definately not my normal go-to baits for fall trolling. By October the bite was back to the "normal" baits.

Defintely a reat time to be fishing on Mille Lacs. September is a transition time as it relates to bait. Sometimes the smaller profile is the way to go. Other times bigger is better. I've caught a lot of walleyes on #18 rapalas or other 7+ inch baits in September and Oct/Nov.

Other times the fish have wanted those short shad shaped baits. Bring both so you have your bases covered. Fishing can be good both day and night. Don't be afraid to pull cranks middle of the day especially if you have some wind.

Good Luck!

Bring on Indian summer and full moons. Nothing beats small game hunting during day and full moon walleye bite at night. I love fall!

Thanks to all for the help. Great information here. I can see that I came to the right place! Thanks again. JoelH