• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rage Expandables

harvey lee

I was looking at maybe going to an expandable broadhead this year to try out. I have tried others and have not been happy with thier performance.

Have you used them and how did they fly and how about the damage on the deer. Have you had any problems with the blades breaking off?

I have used alot of expandables and love them all, some more than others. I have yet to see or hear concrete evidence that the broadhead deflected or didnt open.

Back to Rage, I am going to use the 2 blades this year and I cannt wait to see the blood trail....

I saw one expandable where it went through the deer and was in the dirt with 1 blade still closed. I have also seen where one or more blades have broke. Now, these may have been less expensive expandables but this is why I still shoot my Muzzy's.

These new Rage broadheads look kinda nice and I'm really thinking about trying expandables again.

HL,

This is what I am shooting this year, the 2-blade, and I was wondering the same thing, I did some research and talked to alot of people and no one had a problem with deployment of the blades. From what I heard the damage they create is over whelming. Only down fall I heard of is when stalking with them(if you do that) sometimes the blades will come open as you walk and they come in contact with brush.

I went with the 2 blade also because of the wider cutting area and the blades are of heavier steel than the 3 blade.

As far as them flying, I have been practicing with the tip they give you when you buy them and the flight is no different then my field points.

I have a buddy who used them last year and really liked them. I don't have any more detail that that though...

I've been shooting Steelhead expandables for about 8 years. I have yet to have any problem with them and can see no reason to change to anything else. They shoot exactly like my field points and cut like razors. They've left some awesome blood trails, in spite of their relatively small size.

Sounds like maybe I'll purchase a half dozen and give them a whirl.

I have been shooting ROCKET sidewinder expandables for 4 years. I have tried rocky mountian ironheads(fixed 3 blade) before i like them i dont have a bad thing to say either way. I like my ROCKET sidewinders but they can be a little expensive.(SPORTFISH) found me some generic ones made for gander mt. that are the same as the ROCKET sidewinder but are $17.00 cheeper. HFC slayer is what the package says.I have not had any issues with blades breaking, but the blood trails that i have had are unreal they look like a sprinkler went running through the woods. Good luck finding your broadhead that fits your style, but remember it doesn't matter what you shoot as long as it is placed in the boiler room! STICK'EM HARD N LEAVE'EM BLEED'N

I feel a need to chime in on this one. I was just looking at their website, the two blade has two .035" blades and the three blade has three .030" blades, same material, just thicker blades. something else to look at is on their home page i saw that there is a recall on some of the blades shipped this year, look at that so you know what to look for when you buy them. I would not use the recall as a reason not to buy the rage broadheads, every manufacturer has problems from time to time. just realize the fact that they realized they messed up and are on the ball to fix it. I have not tried them myself yet, but i plan on in the next couple years. I personally know the guy that designed them, and just talking to him about them i am sold on them. About the problem with them deploying the blades when they come in contact with brush when stalking. he has shot them with one blade open, two blades open, all blades open, and he said it didn't make a difference when he was shooting. I would recomend that if you do a lot of stalking, i would try shooting them with one blade open, two bades open, etc. to see if there is any effect.

The Rage expandables look nice, but I'm a little hesitant on all of the expandables because of the chance of failure with moving parts. I still like the fixed 3-blade Muzzies and Thunderheads.

I will be shooting the 2 blades this year. The only negative thing I have ever heard about them is that they sometimes come open in your quiver. But its worth it IMO.

I shot the two blade last year and will be shooting it again this year. I shot a doe at Ripley and the entrance and exit hole was huge. I have shot many deer with different heads and have never seen any hole that that.