Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sportland_Bait

Great Bassin Story and Walleye Report!

6 posts in this topic

It has been another great week here in the northwoods. We sure had some memorable trips. The big bass fishing continues to be just awesome. We had a couple of youngsters boat their all time bests. It started out with an epic battle between a young man and a 20 inch largemouth. As his brother cheered him on he kept the rod high while the 20 incher made run after run. Pretty soon the fish tired and conceded victory. After a photo she was released to swim again. Ten minutes later the other sibling dug into his bag of tricks. He decided to piggyback 2 minnows on the same jig. As soon as the bait hit the water, Wham! The battle was on. After a few minutes the fish was in the boat. He had outdone his brother with a 21 incher. I think it was a sibling rivalry at its best. Both kids were very happy and were able to go home with a tremendous story. This summer has been filled with days like these for our guide boats. The bass fishing has been going strong lately but we are starting to see the walleye action getting a little better. We are still fishing weedlines with redtail chubs. It has been a variety when fishing close to the weeds, walleyes, bass, and pike. Both Lindy rigs or jigs have worked well. Schools will be opening up before we know it so be sure to get the kids out on the water one more time before the end of summer. It is well worth it.

P.S. The walleye action has been going quite well up on the Whitefish chain in 16-20 feet.

Jason Erlandson

Can you give a guy a hint as to where on the Whitefish Chain, there are only 16 lakes on the chain? Any help would be appreicated.

We have been concentrating on the west end of the chain. Lower Hay, Upper, and middle is where we have had the best success. Weedlines of humps and points seem to be holding the most fish.

Jason Erlandson

Jason, thanks for the update...

I agree the bass fishing has been really good for the past few weeks. The past several days when it was cloudy they were really going after it. I have also picked up 5 nice walleyes this week while bass fishing... The smallest was 19 inches and the largest 25 inches. So I agree the walleyes bite is picking up..

Weedlines in 8 to 15 feet of water is the location....

Fall fishing is just around the corner and should really be good as the fish start to develop eggs...

Joel

Jason,

Thanks for the hints, They are much appreciated. I will try to find those elusive eye's that I can't seem to find. I am still waiting to catch my first eye on the chain. I know that donesn't say much for my skill in catching those fish. Have a great week. Thanks, Mike

Been fishing a buddies cabin he has on a smaller chain of lakes just south of whitefish. The bass fishing has been unbelievable this year for numbers and in the last few weeks ive seen two 20's and a fat 21.5.