• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any good reports for panfish or walleyes!

I was heading up to the cabin by Squaw Lake the weekend of Aug. 17th and 18th and was wondering if there were any good reports? It doesn't matter if it's sunfish, crappies or walleyes but it would be nice just to catch enough for a meal and then catch and release after that. I don't want anybody to give up any secret spots so if you could just tell my a lake and the species I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Hey fishinbum. We've been down in the cities the past week getting a house down there ready to put on the market, so haven't had any lake time up here lately. But, there were a few anglers in over the weekend up here and gave my brother some info to give them on where to start and he said they came in and said that they did well. On Blackduck the early am and late afternoon and evening walleye bite kicked in for a couple of anglers once they switched over to crankbaits instead of the leeches, doing a slow troll over the bars going from the 16' down to the 8' depths. Earlier in the week, sunnies and gills were doing still biting near the cabbage beds on several of the smaller lakes in the area, bobber fishing using a jig tipped with waxworms or some smaller crawlers. Got more folks heading in this weekend to hit numerous lakes around here so will have some more scoop then...hard to hear the fishing reports when we take turns working on the house instead of out on the lakes ourselves!

Quote:

I was heading up to the cabin by Squaw Lake the weekend of Aug. 17th and 18th and was wondering if there were any good reports? It doesn't matter if it's sunfish, crappies or walleyes but it would be nice just to catch enough for a meal and then catch and release after that. I don't want anybody to give up any secret spots so if you could just tell my a lake and the species I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Fishinbum: A few weeks ago we had some luck for eyes on Round, out in the middle, straight out from the point on the north side. Depth dropped from about 6-7 ft. down to about 20 if I remember right. Also, a number of boats were fishing off the reeds on the NE corner where the Popple goes out.By the way, would you know of anyone in the Squaw Lake area that has a cabin for rent that would be open for the first week end of deer season (firearms)??? Thanks,

Thanks for all the reports. What bait seem to work the best on Round for Walleyes? Do you know if they were fishing for walleyes or crappies in the NE corner and if they were having any luck?

I may know of a possible cabin and I will check into that. How many guys would be coming up? Were you looking to come up on Friday and then how many days were you thinking? I will let you know asap.

Thanks again for the fishing info!

Check out the "Resort Locator" link at the top of this page and then the "Winnibigoshish" link on the right and you will find some names and phone numbers (and some have website links) of resorts in the Squaw Lake area that are FM supports.

Quote:

Thanks for all the reports. What bait seem to work the best on Round for Walleyes? Do you know if they were fishing for walleyes or crappies in the NE corner and if they were having any luck?

Been out of town for a few days or I would have responded earlier. The local guy we talked to that put us on the break said that crawlers would be the best bait. The fish were not jumping in the boat and we used crawlers, leeches and shiners from the Max store, didn't notice much difference in the bite. We tried jigs, lindy rigs and even a spinner combo again, nothing was way out in front in terms of the catch. We did see some locals with slip bobbers fishing the break before we arrived, not sure how they did however. Good luck,let me know how you do, we will head up again at the end of Sept., hunting will be 3 to 5 of us, Friday and Sat. nights of firearms opener, we have some leads, am waiting to hear from the resort where we stayed last year.

I may know of a possible cabin and I will check into that. How many guys would be coming up? Were you looking to come up on Friday and then how many days were you thinking? I will let you know asap.

Thanks again for the fishing info!

Quote:

Huskie,

If you could email me ([email protected])I might have a lead on a cabin available the opening of deer season.

Andy: My dad Dick sold your family a cabin many years ago I believe, how has the fishing been on Island? I would think you will be grouse hunting up there as well, next time we are up, might swing by. Dave aka Huskie

I thought that was you Dave. Kerm and JoAnn have been good about keeping up with Dick and Betty. Have not fished Island recently...fishing some other local lakes for panfish when I've been up in July and August. I really believe that the slot limit has increased the size of Northerns. Caught some walleyes in June and July, either too small or too big for the slot. Just returned from there, and yes the lake is low, and amazingly clear for this time of year.

I will be doing some grouse hunting. I know you guys have deer hunted from the cabin for years; you are welcome to use it! I will not be using the cabin at all during deer season, and K&J will be at home by then.

Andy: I meet a good friend of mine who lives in the cities, who used to have a resort on the north side of island, in St. Cloud and we head north 4-5 times a year. We usually fish Winnie, but we hunt grouse and still deer hunt back by Wagner. Our last fishing trip will be late Sept. or early Oct. If dad hunts deer, we might stay at your place if it is ok, if not we will try to find a place closer to Squaw Lake, but thanks for the offer. My son Mike, who will be a Jr. at the U will hunt with us as well and without Dick cooking for us we need to be close to a few eating establishments. When you get up north in the fall post how you do, I check this site and some SD pheasant sites on a regular basis. I hope the slot on Island will have the desired outcome, take care.