Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pikehunter78

Cedar Lake (Scott Co.) Summer Kill

3 posts in this topic

I also posted this in the metro forum, but Cedar is between the two areas and I know of some folks further south that fish this lake, so I thought I'd notify this forum as well....

My Sister and Brother-in-law live on Cedar Lake about 5 miles north of New Prague. While it's shallow and choked with Curly Leaf Pondweed for about a month every summer, the lake is a great spring, fall and winter fishery for Walleyes, Bass, Panfish, and the occasional Muskie.

But as of last weekend, my brother-in-law has counted 10-15 walleyes either washed up or floating. None of them under 27 inches!

We've caught some big ones out there before and knew they were in there, but to see that many big ones dead is pretty disheartening. The lake is down about 2 feet making the deepest part of the lake around 10ft. He contacted the DNR but they said they didn't want to start the aerators because it would more than likely just stir up silt and make the water worse.

Any other Cedar fisherman out there who've seen more of this?

Looks like it might be a few years before that lake is good for eyes again.

Pray for rain!

Thanks for the update but that's too bad. Hopefully, there was a healthy population of fish in there to sustain the kill.

Once the water temp get over 80f its ability to hold oxygen starts to drop quickly . So a few windy days may not help. frown.gif