Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CatManLee

Thief River Falls Report...

2 posts in this topic

I fished above the dam in Thief River Falls on Saturday. Fished the Red Lake River with jigs and minnows in 10ft-13ft of water near the river channel.

Saturday I caught 3 Walleye's. Two were small measuring about 11" inches and one was a little nicer measuring about 12" inches. I did lose one nice eye right next to the boat that would have probably went 14"-18" inches and had a couple more on that felt O.K. but got off. The fish were biting really light, I actually had to set the hook before I could feel any weight, during the nibbling!

Also caught lots of Rock Bass in areas that had alot of downed trees under the water and Pike in similar areas.

The big suprise on the weekend is the Catfish I caught late Saturday Evening. It's the first Catfish I have ever caught above the dam here in town. It measured 25" inches and really put up a good battle on my walleye rod. I wonder if there is a population of Cats above the dam or just the odd Catfish every now and then? I might have to try some cut bait one day and see what happens...

The fish are biting, now's a good time to hit the river.

i fished below the dam last wednesday, i caught my first (then second, third, forth and fifth) small mouth bass. Man those things fight like crazy on light tackle. -i haven't caught a cat out of the river for a while now, but then again i haven't been focusing on those cats much lately. On saturday there must have been a run of walleye that were in the channel going into the power plant. My father in law caught a limit in a little over an hour. He got them on on a yellow jig head, with chubs from erls.