• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duck Hunting near Crosslake--Whitefish Chain?

I'm hoping to learn a little about the duck hunting situation on the WF chain and in the Crosslake area. I'd like to spend more time at the cabin this fall and hunt ducks and fish for late season eyes. Anyone have any general info/advice for ducks in that area? I don't see a ton during the summer so perhaps it's better during the migration??

Thanks

Hey Anchor man, Are you on the chain itself, or not on the chain? I am not on the chain, so can't say much about hunting the chain, but have wanted to try upper whitefish later in the seaosn, but haven't yet.

I went to many, MANY public places last seaosn looking for ducks, and did not find many, actually. Was there pretty early though. I have hunted several public spots, and had some decent hunts, but not great. Some very nice looking spots, I guess I just missed the migration though.

I usually hunt out western MN, but last year did a lot around the metro area, before work. I too want to spend more duckin time at the cabin though, as fishing was so darned great last fall up there, and I am only on dinky little small lake.

Box,

Yes, our place is on the chain. I'll probably starting driving the area a bit now through Sept. looking for some spots. Hunting the chain would be fun and with enough camo, a 1700 Lund Fisherman would be pretty comfortable too. Seems like it would be kinda strange bangin' away with so many cabins on the shoreline, but I suppose many are in the winter homes by then.

Thanks for the info.

Ha, yeah, it would be kinda wierd, but I have hunted some metro lakes that looks like that as well.

If the divers do come to the lakes like they should, I bet some of those points on whitefish would be fun to put some long strings out, park the boat down aways, and plant your butt on a comfy chair, even if you do have to sit with your feet in the water a bit to keep it legal. Maybe a CO up there could help you out as well. I know there are signs on many islands and points that are no tresspassing, but as long as you stay off the land, no problem smile.gif

If you want, drop me a line at chris at boxmeyers doot coom.